What's new

not a clue

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
1,501
Reaction score
376
Golden Thread
1
Location
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this today in an old elementary school. I thought it was a boot plate but I just don't know.
 

Attachments

  • DSC00988.webp
    DSC00988.webp
    40.3 KB · Views: 426
  • DSC00989.webp
    DSC00989.webp
    44.6 KB · Views: 413
  • DSC00988.webp
    DSC00988.webp
    40.3 KB · Views: 408
  • DSC00989.webp
    DSC00989.webp
    44.6 KB · Views: 401
Yep,nice toe tap! :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
kuger said:
Yep,nice toe tap! :thumbsup:

I second an old shoe tap; :thumbsup: kuger. Nice find, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
O.K.,I have dug probably a hundred of those and have never really been clear on,did they go on the toe,or the heel?I am saying toe. :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
kuger said:
O.K.,I have dug probably a hundred of those and have never really been clear on,did they go on the toe,or the heel?I am saying toe. :icon_scratch:

Kuger, from my understanding, the thinner ones like this one were used for the toe, and the thicker, often iron ones shaped like a horse shoe were for the heel. The South probably used anything they had for shoe taps because of the poor economics. Here's a web site showing the difference. http://www.drillpad.net/DI_AF_Taps.htm

Yesterday I dug what I think is a shoe stud from WWI. TreasureHound, I'm not trying to hi-jack your post, but thought the shoe studs could add to the discussion. The first pic is somewhat of an optical illusion in that it looks dome shaped, but in reality it is rounded flat. Here are a few pics, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • WWIShoeStud1.webp
    WWIShoeStud1.webp
    22.6 KB · Views: 265
  • WWIShoeStud2.webp
    WWIShoeStud2.webp
    26.8 KB · Views: 296
Upvote 0
Thanks Breezie,I have dug quite a few of the heel plates,and they make sense.I was jumped on another forum that the ones above were heel plates and I was pretty sure they werent.
 
Upvote 0
Wow. thanks for the id. I found this at an old elementary school that is right in the middle of where a lot of civil war soldiers were stationed. Could this have been during that time period?
 
Upvote 0
treasurehound said:
Wow. thanks for the id. I found this at an old elementary school that is right in the middle of where a lot of civil war soldiers were stationed. Could this have been during that time period?
Very good "chance",as I seem to only find them in 1860- ish sites,but anybody could have been wearing them
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom