Not a typical KG III- need ID help

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went off Cape very early this morning to my favorite park- I'm on a mission as I've been hunting this park for over 25 years, been there over 300 times and have found, before today, 975 keepers, including 567 Indians. Trying to get to that elusive 1000 before this year ends.
I'm using my Nox 600 and re-hitting areas that I have not yet done- results have been very good.
Today's take was 1882, 1894 & 1902 Indians (not yet cleaned up- sorry), 1910 & 1920 wheats and this. It's clearly a King George III, dated 1788 and the obverse is incredible. The reverse is in pretty good shape as well, but here's my dilemma- I have the 1700-1800 World book of coins- it's not there. I've seen some tokens online, but they don't have the legend this one does. I can do more cleaning, but was hoping someone could ID it before I risk ruining it. I just can't seem to ID it. I've added a picture of it next to a Buff for scale- it's about the size of a quarter, rang in as copper/brass and is fairly thin.
Thanks for looking and any info you can offer!
Jeff
KG3o1rs.JPG
KG3r1rs.JPG
KG3r2rs.JPG
KgBuffscalers.JPG

Upvote 19

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to be a spade guinea gaming token. There are lots of different varieties and they were made by numerous manufacturers for many decades. Sometimes the lettering around the edge will have the manufacturer's name, or the same lettering as an actual guinea, or other times just gibberish. There's a short reference page on them here:

Very cool find!

OP
OP
JeffInMass

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks to be a spade guinea gaming token. There are lots of different varieties and they were made by numerous manufacturers for many decades. Sometimes the lettering around the edge will have the manufacturer's name, or the same lettering as an actual guinea, or other times just gibberish. There's a short reference page on them here:

Very cool find!
Thank you for the info - I had seen something similar as I researched- definitely a token or jeton- I'll take it, especially since I'd never found something like that before.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went off Cape very early this morning to my favorite park- I'm on a mission as I've been hunting this park for over 25 years, been there over 300 times and have found, before today, 975 keepers, including 567 Indians. Trying to get to that elusive 1000 before this year ends.
I'm using my Nox 600 and re-hitting areas that I have not yet done- results have been very good.
Today's take was 1882, 1894 & 1902 Indians (not yet cleaned up- sorry), 1910 & 1920 wheats and this. It's clearly a King George III, dated 1788 and the obverse is incredible. The reverse is in pretty good shape as well, but here's my dilemma- I have the 1700-1800 World book of coins- it's not there. I've seen some tokens online, but they don't have the legend this one does. I can do more cleaning, but was hoping someone could ID it before I risk ruining it. I just can't seem to ID it. I've added a picture of it next to a Buff for scale- it's about the size of a quarter, rang in as copper/brass and is fairly thin.
Jeff View attachment 2031667 View attachment 2031668 View attachment 2031669 View attachment 2031670
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeff View attachment 2031667 View attachment 2031668 View attachment 2031669 View attachment 2031670
awesome rare find, great save indeed

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You found some nice coins there....If your coin hasn't been ID'd yet, it will be soon... congratulations 👍

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never seen one of those before. Cool find! And those are some impressive totals from that park!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very cool find!
Agreed, gaming token.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paleomaxx has the right ID. I've found exactly the same one a few years back. Great find in my book, I very rarely see them being found on this side of the Atlantic.
Yeap, more common over here, but not had one in years myself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread