What's new

...now, any ideas about this Rocking chair?

jcono

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2011
Messages
74
Reaction score
54
Golden Thread
0
I have an old rocking chair from my family's collections... I know nothing about it, other than it was probably bought from an antique store in the central NJ/ eastern PA area approx. 40 yrs ago.
Can you tell me anything about it, based on seeing the carving, design, etc.? Thank You as always for your input!
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20210725_173710322.webp
    PXL_20210725_173710322.webp
    468.5 KB · Views: 143
  • PXL_20210725_174023752.webp
    PXL_20210725_174023752.webp
    450.7 KB · Views: 134
  • PXL_20210725_174054197.webp
    PXL_20210725_174054197.webp
    827.2 KB · Views: 122
  • PXL_20210725_173755959.webp
    PXL_20210725_173755959.webp
    622.5 KB · Views: 112
  • PXL_20210725_173728728.webp
    PXL_20210725_173728728.webp
    442.6 KB · Views: 113
Late 1800s. No marks on the legs or under the seat right?
 
Yea, no markings. I'm looking to sell it. Not sure if it's worth $50, $200, or more? I have no idea...
 
Last edited:
Late 1800s. No marks on the legs or under the seat right?

I think it's much newer. Seat looks like plywood and made with many slats, those exposed screws are atrocious. The "carving" looks pressed, not carved. Value? Oak furniture is way out of popularity, and that was an inexpensive item when new. I had an oak non-rocker with similar pressed decoration, couldn't get $25 for it, gave it away. Good luck with your rocker!
 
Last edited:
I believe that those chairs were manufactured back in 1915-1930. The wood was steam pressed, and the seats were also steamed to form to shape of the seats. No plywood involved. I used to own one, and their value would most likely be more than $125.00. Start out higher and don't take less if you have to. Yours looks to be in very good condition. Good Luck! They also sold those in those old catalogs.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom