Oak Tree Shilling or copy?

njguy

Jul 2, 2011
I got this from my Dad some 30 years ago. He's since passed away ('05) and recently I rediscovered it in a box of old things I had laying around when I went to add an 1879 silver morgan dollar I recently found in an old Pennsylvania barn. (I'll post that next) I think its fake, sounds my like a modern quarter when it hits a hard surface unlike what silver coins sound like. The feel of it is also suspicious, kinda thin; thinner then the quarter and the lettering seems almost dripped on. as a kid I took it as being real, but now, all these years later, I have my doubts. Especially since I see what appears to be a letter "c" on one side. Still though I'm curious to find out what it is for certain and any value such a thing may hold beyond my sentiment of course. Thanks!

Attachments

• probable-fake-shilling-1.gif
    probable-fake-shilling-1.gif
    856.8 KB · Views: 1,042
  • probable-fake-shilling-2.gif
    probable-fake-shilling-2.gif
    748.5 KB · Views: 898
  • probable-fake-shilling-3.gif
    probable-fake-shilling-3.gif
    671.8 KB · Views: 820
  • probable-fake-shilling-4.gif
    probable-fake-shilling-4.gif
    795.7 KB · Views: 1,248
Yes it is a fake. As for being thin,it is most likely too thick to be an original. A genuine coin is scarcely thicker thatn a piece of paper!

Thanks, for confirming that for me. Does it hold any value, even as a fake? Any idea as to when/where this was made?

Also, you can see the brass wearing through the silver plate and the casting seam. As a copy, it would be hard to pin down who and when. Made before the hobby protection act (1973) since it does not have "copy" on it, unless it was made overseas. I would say whatever you could get as a curiosity piece, but people don't like to deal in fakes, especially without the word "copy" on it

HH
-GC

Unfortunately it looks like a copy, a couple years ago I found an OakTree Sixpence, it was so thin I thought it was a piece of old foil at first, also these coins were stamped by hand so details are crude and the edges tend to be off center and flattened.

:read2:

Yes it is a copy as outhers have stated, the easiest way to tell is the letter W in NEW ENGLAND. On all Oak Tree coinage the middle of the W crosses at the top and is connected with a line. There is no W that crosses like the one posted. The picture below is the real deal :thumbsup:

SS

Attachments

• 14918_2203_2_lg.jpg
    14918_2203_2_lg.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 959

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back