oct 1st marks 1 year for the loss of the EL FARO -- another powerful storm coming ?

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes....I expect to have some nightmares after reading that....

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the link seeker..
Jeremie Rheim was a friend of mine....
He left behind a beautiful family, they continue to live on Pine Island, doing well as lives go on without him.
God bless all those who have given their lives to the sea.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
seekerGH: I just finished reading that article! It is chilling. There must be a moment when those on board a doomed vessel feel the break, the roll, the plunge the ship won't recover from. In that instant they know all is lost.

"It's no fish ye're buying, it's men's lives." ~ Walter Scott

It's Sunday - we can all take a moment to remember when we seek shipwrecks we are exploring the tombs of the lost. We can honor "They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters. These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep...[He] lifteth the stormy wind, which lifteth up the waves thereon."

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My BIL worked on the El Faro at Sun Ship in Chester and contributed to the new book, Into the Raging Sea by Rachel Slade, He has received a pre-release
signed copy with notes from the author. Prior to being interviewed, he sent each of the deceased families a ship (El Faro) in a bottle. 21 I believe
so they would have a rememberance. You can see the the result at https://www.facebook.com/bob.richard.1297/posts/1863251230385938

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
there 33 souls upon the El Faro when she sank -- 28 were Americans - 5 were a polish work crew that were doing constant under way at sea repairs (the company hired foreign nationals to do the work - because they did not want to take her out of service and into a shipyard --its highly likely had she been put into a shipyard she would have been deemed to be unfit for sea service and been forced to be converted into a unmanned towed "barge" vessel (this was the companys' plan once the replacement vessel came on line--to convert the el faro into a sea barge vessel for the Alaska trade) ---her replacement vessel was already being prepped --a LNG powered ship -- so it was clear she was at the end of her useful life span ---the older capts that were running the "old ships" were under the gun as well --rumor was that with the "new vessels" there were going to be new capts as well --out with the "old" in with the new ---so the old capts wanting to survive and hopefully get one of the "new vessels" would do whatever the company said to do ---so when the company only gave them enough fuel to take the "same old same old run path" the company basically set the only path the capt could take ---the one that took them on the course that got them killed -- when the fuel allotted tied the capt to the short course and the company's don't be late or else policy set when he had to be in PR---thus forcing him to leave port from Jacksonville by a certain time since the ship can only go so fast and so far in a certain amount of time ---basically the capt in effect had a "carreer" gun to his head -- go or else - if he had not gone --its likely that -the capt would have been relieved of command (fired / forced retired) and the chief mate moved up as the "new capt" and off she still would have went---normally speaking the chief mate has a capts license so he can easily "move up" if need be in an emergency

they blame the capt of course -- but it was really the company and its underhanded policies that forced the capt to do what he did --because if he had not the "next guy" in the food chain would do it --to be "the new capt"

as a SIU 27 year merchant seaman (retired chief steward / baker) I often sailed the Jacksonville , Fl to San Juan PR run and will say this is the real world way things work today -- sadly

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread