What's new

Odd chain

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
3,806
Reaction score
35
Golden Thread
0
Location
WESTERN MASS
I bet one of you will know what this odd chain with the bent hooks was used for...................
 

Attachments

  • garage what is it.webp
    garage what is it.webp
    26.5 KB · Views: 391
Looks like a chain for loading freight. The hooks are twisted so they don't slip off what they are hooked on - sort of like a sister hook.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Around here they were used to pull a long line of logs. The large loop would be attached to oxen or horses. Shorter chains with hooks on both ends and a swivel in the middle would connect 10-12 logs to be pulled out. That is a great looking chain. I have never found one with curled hooks on it, but it would be for quick hook-up with the loop of another chain.
 
Upvote 0
Nice I.d. lubercamp! I've never run across those hooks either, and that's including many years of scrapping and searching the yards for any interesting chain. Those hooks are ingeniously simple. Great find Countrygirl, and pretty too!
 
Upvote 0
Thanks guys! I thought it was a tad short for cargo, but the logging idea fits. Yup it would be just another chain if it wasn't for those fancy hooks.

Age? Mid-late 1800's?

P.S. What made me post it was a thought that it was to hold a calf in place while it was being checked ect..... :tongue3:
 
Upvote 0
Would the chain be similar to the one in your avatar lumbercamp? Cool find :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Yes, it used for the exact same purpose. County Girls style of hook is called a pigtail hook. The one on my avatar is a grab hook.
 
Upvote 0
lumbercamp, great id on "pigtail hook"! :notworthy:
 
Upvote 0
Me a logger. Nah. It's just that I have been digging lumber camps for years and have a good idea what the old logging tools are. If I don't know I post a photo on Tnet to have other people help ID it.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom