- Joined
- Jun 1, 2026
- Messages
- 273
- Reaction score
- 834
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Roswell, NM
- Detector(s) used
- All Garrett: Ace 250 (two), AceApex, VX-9. Have owned just about every Garrett ever made. First three detecter I made myself, with the first one in 1962.
- #1
Thread Owner
This link (http://www.mdhtalk.org/home.html) is no longer active. If you do a search for laws, one of them refers you to Garrett and a list of generalities. I'm not surprised at either situation. One of the reasons is the complexity of keeping up with the ever-changing regulations. And it isn't just the fed or the states. Local governmental organizations—cities, counties, townships, etc.— all contribute to ever-more complex scenarios.
Here in Roswell, NM, all city parks are fair game, unless the area is posted. Typically, those areas are fenced and with proper signage. The only thing the city asks is that you replace and tamp down your divots. Just about everything else (public) is off limits, even in the county. New Mexico statewide, BLM lands are no-nos, but other states allow their BLM land to be searched, unless posted. The old adage about it's best to ask forgiveness than permission is a knife-edged line to cross nowadays.
I sort of wish I lived east of the Mississippi, where a lot of private lands are still available to detect. At least you have access to relics and silver coinage, because they're very rare west of the Mississippi and especially so in the desert southwest. I'm jealous!
Here in Roswell, NM, all city parks are fair game, unless the area is posted. Typically, those areas are fenced and with proper signage. The only thing the city asks is that you replace and tamp down your divots. Just about everything else (public) is off limits, even in the county. New Mexico statewide, BLM lands are no-nos, but other states allow their BLM land to be searched, unless posted. The old adage about it's best to ask forgiveness than permission is a knife-edged line to cross nowadays.
I sort of wish I lived east of the Mississippi, where a lot of private lands are still available to detect. At least you have access to relics and silver coinage, because they're very rare west of the Mississippi and especially so in the desert southwest. I'm jealous!







