What's new

Odd mint mark on a 1983D half?

Jeffro

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2005
Messages
4,101
Reaction score
147
Golden Thread
0
Location
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I got this one today, all the others I have seen are well centered. This one stood out as the mint mark is almost touching the 9.

Has anyone else seen one or heard of one before?
 

Attachments

  • 1983d.webp
    1983d.webp
    23.9 KB · Views: 275
Upvote 0
Yes. I posted something like this a while back as I found it unusual but, apparently, it's pretty common.
 
Thats what I was thinking too- never hurts to check, LOL! :) Thanks, PB
 
If the mintmark actually touches one of the numbers in the date it then does become more valuable. There are many mintmark errors including doubling and tripling, a sideways mintmark with the correct placement punched over it, and so many others that are very cool. I got a penny in change where the copper coating was never applied over the zinc so it was silver colored. I got it authenticated for $8 and sold it for $75 at the time. Keep looking close, you never know when a valuable error will come your way...Ryan
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom