What's new

Odd wheat cent........

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2008
Messages
4,949
Reaction score
2,326
Golden Thread
0
Location
NorthWest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this wheat today, any idea what or how it became this way?
 

Attachments

  • DSC01610.webp
    DSC01610.webp
    68.7 KB · Views: 750
  • DSC01612.webp
    DSC01612.webp
    27.1 KB · Views: 826
Looks to me like someone used a press on it.
 
I edited and retracted my earlier statement. I didn't intend to add any confusion or misrepresentations. I looked at the coin with fresh eyes this morning and the other posters have some points. I was a bit hasty in my assessment of this particular coin.
 
I disagree. No way to be certain this is a mint error.
 
I would say damaged. Lincoln's bust is flattened from the punch or press, the lettering around the periphery is untouched, this would not happen with a capped die.
 
well looks like we have several opinions, wish I knew for sure?
 
Goes4ever said:
well looks like we have several opinions, wish I knew for sure?

Sorry about my statement and adding to the confusion. I was hasty in my earlier statement, it was late, and I didn't get a good look at the coin like I thought I did. I must digress to what the other posters stated about this coin.
 
dime pressed on top of it?
 
Goes4ever said:
I dug this wheat today, any idea what or how it became this way?

Not a mint error ~ damaged

Feel free to e-mail Fred Weinberg . . . .he's the world's lead authority on error coins ~ fred@fredweinberg.com ~ I'm sure that he'll tell you that is is NOT a true mint-made error coin, it was damaged outside the mint.

www.fredweinberg.com
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom