OP
jeff k

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the appellate court disagrees with the lower court then it will go back to the lower court for trial. If they agree with the lower court then Odyssey will appeal to the Supreme Court. If a trial is held I'm sure the loser will appeal that decision. In other words, the coins aren't going anywhere for the next year or two unless Spain decides to settle.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR said:
Jeff K said:
If the appellate court disagrees with the lower court then it will go back to the lower court for trial. If they agree with the lower court then Odyssey will appeal to the Supreme Court. If a trial is held I'm sure the loser will appeal that decision. In other words, the coins aren't going anywhere for the next year or two unless Spain decides to settle.

Thanks for your reply.

It appears, as of now...Odyssey has lost. Due to the fact they (Odyssey) are appealing the ruling/judgment.

SWR, that's like calling the game at half time...
or declaring the election before the poles close (a Florida thing)...

I'm just saying...

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wreckdiver1715 said:
SWR said:
Jeff K said:

Thanks for your reply.

It appears, as of now...Odyssey has lost. Due to the fact they (Odyssey) are appealing the ruling/judgment.

SWR, that's like calling the game at half time...
or declaring the election before the poles close (a Florida thing)...

I'm just saying...
Tom, Spain 2 Odyssey 0 and we have the referee on our side ;D
Ossy

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wreckdiver1715 said:
more like tied at half time, and Odyssey has the ball (in a warehouse in Tampa).
The problem is they stole the match ball and the officials will disqualify odyssey for tampering :read2:
Ossy

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
old man said:
Alexandre, In what Countries waters is the 1589 Spanish Galleon you are looking for and what is the name of it??? Just curious.

It's in Portuguese waters. We have 1589 Spanish shipwrecks from the Corvo Island, in the Azores, all the way till the Cape São Vicente, in the mainland... :)

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Seahunter said:
Alexandre
A nice list, but I think you missed the point. Could you show us a report and the photos to go with it, or is that for archaeologists only? We could all learn something here if you would share with us.
Seahunter

Seahunter

As I have posted above, I have some of those documents online (link also above).

Also, I have posted a lot of photographs here on TNET, look for example, for the Namibia Shipwreck Update thread.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Darren in NC said:
I didn't think you had. I actually felt he questioned you as a hobbyist from his professional experience.

Aquanut is right. I was just answering to his comment that underwater archaeologists do not find wrecks, TH's do - as I have shown, I have 8 such discoveries under my belt... ;)

As for being a professional, I have to disagree. Besides a brief stint done as a paid employee of the Portuguese Ministry of Culture (1998-2000), all my archaeological activity (travels, dives, lectures, academic fees, etc.) have been paid from my own pocket - as a matter of fact, I work for a living for a private company who deals in something else rather diferent than archaeology or wrecks. ;)

I do, however, remain attached by academic and professional liasions with the government agency that oversees this area of our heritage.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Alexandre I am also curious, are the Spanish wrecks of 1589 from the same fleet of Alvaro Flores or Martin Perez de Olazaual?

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Salvor6 said:
Alexandre I am also curious, are the Spanish wrecks of 1589 from the same fleet of Alvaro Flores or Martin Perez de Olazaual?

This one is from the Álvaro Flores Quiñones fleet.

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Now's the time to buy some more shares in Odyssey since it is below $1.50 a share. If they lose, I don't expect it to take a plummet. If they win the case, expect the shares to jump to $6-9 a share for the first day or two after the win. Regardless, they are working on bringing up a lot of silver from another wreck, so the stock prices should rise once that is released. Now I need to find a way to divert some money without the wifey finding out!

trinidad

Dec 28, 2008
No surprise on the bill. Goold is taking now the money for the Black Swan and for the Juno and Galga. Five millions and his ass is completely dry. That's a real treasurehunter and not the people listed in this forum. I would like to see the faces of the crowd that has been crying at Odyssey for being something close to pirates. They must be with their mouths open and their eyes wide open asking then selves what happened here.

OP
OP
jeff k

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trinidad said:
No surprise on the bill. Goold is taking now the money for the Black Swan and for the Juno and Galga. Five millions and his ass is completely dry. That's a real treasurehunter and not the people listed in this forum. I would like to see the faces of the crowd that has been crying at Odyssey for being something close to pirates. They must be with their mouths open and their eyes wide open asking then selves what happened here.

Will the real PIRATE please stand up!

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trinidad said:
Trinidad, It is pay the five million or let Odyssey keep it, simple choice :icon_scratch: nobody works for free !
Do you think Odyssey would give you any coins or sell them to you for as much as they can get ( $1000 each ) or more.
As a Spanish tax payer it would cost you no more than 9 euro ( 45,000,000 population ) I'd pay $100 euro for Spain to have it returned.
Any sales from the coin's will be used to benefit the Spanish people and further protect their heritage.
Ossy

OP
OP
jeff k

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Finally, the substitute custodian, Odyssey, is ordered to return the res to Spain within ten days under the
circumstances and in a manner subject to approval by the Magistrate Judge. However, the order to the substitute custodian to return the res is STAYED, the order vacating the arrest warrant is STAYED, and the status quo of the res shall persist until the earlier of
(1) the day after the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals issues a mandate in this case or,
(2) if no party appeals, the expiration of the time to notice an appeal.
ORDERED in Tampa, Florida, on December 22, 2009.
Judge Merryday"

As I said, the coins are going nowhere until the process is over.

Panfilo

Feb 20, 2007
Ossy:
The central point of disagreement between the pro-UNESCO Convention supporters (Spain amongst others) and its detractors is precisely that the coins can not be sold, commercialized in any way, as this is the main pillar in this Convention that has produced the current chaos in the protection of underwater cultural patrimony. Eight years after it was approved in Paris, only 24 counties have ratified it and serious problems have arisen in the ones that have, 66 countries that voted in favor have not yet ratified it at this late point.
No, Spain will have to pay the services of its attorneys with tax payers’ money, which is also the only source available to fund any exploration and recovery projects in its territorial waters or in the waters of the other co-adherents of this nefarious excuse of a protection policy. Good lawyers are very expensive and one would guess that Odyssey has also had to spend a handsome penny in its defense, which brings to mind this thought: in the future how many companies will follow this path…how many fortuitous finds in Spanish waters will never be known, disappearing in the night? If Spain were to win this lawsuit (the opera ain’t over…) the pertinent question is, has Spain and its cultural patrimony benefited from this judgment? I have serious doubts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread