Oh...what could have been....

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
After reading some stories here, I have to share one of mine.

Around 1987, a friend of my grandfather's had died. He was living with some lady at the time that he didn't want to marry, as he told my grandpa that he wanted his 2 daughters to have his $$ and not her. He had been given a clean bill of health a couple days before he died, he was about 68. Then he wound up dead, and the lady had him cremated the next day! We couldn't figure out how she pulled that off, no autopsy, nothing.

His 1st wife had died about 18 years before that, and he walked out of that house and refused to go back in after that. He put a double-wide up next to it and lived there. He told my grandpa on a few ocasions that he didn't trust banks, and had his $$ where the government wouldn't find it.

My dad was an electrical contractor, and the lady hired him to disconnect the wiring to the house, as the fire dept. was going to burn it, one of their "practice burns" or something like that. She said we could take whatever we wanted out of the house, but my dad did not feel comfortable "unloading" a pile of stuff. I got a window A/C that had never been used, and he got an antique double barrel black powder shotgun. There were tons of antiques, steamer trunks, etc.
She had ransacked the whole house, it was terrible. She knew there was money somewhere, don't know if she found much. None of the walls seem ripped open, all the drawers were pulled out of the dressers, etc.

I had been playing with my other grandfather's Whites M/D, he had used it quite a bit. I asked her if I could try my luck to find any old coins on the place, as the farmhouse was probably 130 years old back then. She said sure, which surprised me. I went there the next day, and got some big hits by a couple really old oaks, but I didn't get the chance to dig. She came out and acted really weird, and asked me to leave right away and not return. I was bummed bad.

A few days after that, there was a privacy fence erected around the entire property. A friend had been farming the property right behind that house, and told me he saw two of her older sons out there with brand new M/D's, going all over the place. About a month or so later, she sold the place and moved out of state.
The deceased guy's daughters never saw one red cent out of their fathers money, she got it all. And I wonder what else she got. :P

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don`t think your grandfathers friend told him the whole truth. If she was just living with him not married nor common law marriage, she would have no legal rights to anything in his name or his daughters. Even in 87 the estate laws were in effect and his daughters had to receive something or they could have contested the sale of the property and had everything split by law.

I`m sure there are other people on here with alot more indepth knowledge of the law then me, but i just feel if this is the way it happened your grandfathers friend didn`t tell him everything.

If not married and not falling under common law marriage (think its living together 7 years) she had no legal claim to anything your grandfathers friend owned. Unless he made a will leaving her the sole beneficiary and that could be fought in court by his daughters.

It does sound like she was a money grubber though, and with him not liking banks no telling what all was stashed around there.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story Scotto, seems to be a lot of greedy folks in this old world.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Cool Story....But I also agree with Sleeper....The children always have absolute rights over a common law wife....She would actually have no legal right to anything as the direct heirs of his estate. They should have contested and unless her name was on the deed alone.....she wouldnt have been able to pull this stunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread