What's new

Ohio finds

RyanOhio

Tenderfoot
Joined
Dec 28, 2013
Messages
6
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my one find, the black one. I found it in a field working when I was 16 or 17. The other two were given to me. The big one, is it a knife or scraper? I thinks it's unique due to the smaller rock in the middle. The other white one is flat on one side, and the other looks different than usual ones. Any insight into that one? Thanks for any info

a9y3ysem.jpg


e3y3equn.jpg


zegu7y9u.jpg


e5u7eba3.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Nice finds, black one archaic maybe a sidenotch, blade looks like hornstone last one is modern.
 
The black one you found is a nice Archaic Side Notch Point. The white one is a repro and the type you can buy in most museums for about fifty cents to a dollar. The large Blade looks like a Cache Blade but I need some better pics of both sides. The flaking looks a little funky on one side.
 
That makes sense on the white one, that one and the big one were given to me at some point. Pics from the side or closer pics, which are needed?
 
Here are 4, hopefully they're what you need.

6e6e6ere.jpg


2e2e8ate.jpg


heherasy.jpg


3ade4y4u.jpg


Also two others that were in a chest at my parents, probably picked up by my great grandparents.

zy5u4e3y.jpg


zase8e3a.jpg


nadu7una.jpg


jazyvaqe.jpg


dapu9ede.jpg


I plan on getting out and walking fields more this year, but between kayak fishing and a baby on the way not sure if I'll have time!
 
Thanks for the extra pics. The flaking in pics 3 and 4 just look a little funky but after seeing those new pics I think it's just from resharpening. Looks like it might be good. I would have to see it in hand to say for sure. The other two pieces look good as well and the black looks to be a Meadowood Point.
 
Thanks for the extra pics. The flaking in pics 3 and 4 just look a little funky but after seeing those new pics I think it's just from resharpening. Looks like it might be good. I would have to see it in hand to say for sure. The other two pieces look good as well and the black looks to be a Meadowood Point.

Thanks for the ids, I'm just getting into this. I know my grandpa had tons of them he found working in the fields.
 
Darke county. west central Ohio
 
I haven't been, I'll have to look into it. I have a several fields in the area I'm able to walk, hopefully I can find a few more
 
Ryan nice artifacts! In the first pic it looks like you have a Intrusive mound point, plus a large leaf blade, and the last one looks like a point/knife made from a flake. The last two that you added appear late Archaic. The speckled one is very cool!
 
Super finds !!!!!
 
The white point is a reproduction, the large blade is real neat it has a spot in the middle where when the rock was still in a molten state a gas or a other substance was forced up wards into it and then it cooled making the spot. Great find:icon_thumleft:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom