Oil Boom

Cass

Feb 16, 2005
Hey y'all, I just thought I would drop in and see what is going on in my old home state. I left there in 55 and haven't been back but a few times for short visits.Y'all probably already know it, but I just thought I would mention that there is plenty of history info and all sorts of things in the South Arkansas Historical Journal to glean some hints on places do go scratching. I read from it (on line) a few years back about several of the old oil camp towns, jukes and such places that were set up during the oil boom there around El Dorado, Smackover, Norphlet and surrounding areas. There were several of those camps that were described in detail to the point of even giving directions as to how they could still be located with a little effort and some footwork. A visit to the Arkansas Oil And Brine Museum in Smackover is always very interesting and a good place to pick up on some history of those oil boom times. Some of my fondest memories are of the oil field around El Dorado and Magnolia. I turned 15 working in the July sun for an oilfield paint contractor, and that Arkansas heat on those tank batterys is never forgotten.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Cass, I remember that 'hot AR sun' myself, being a 'logger' from the Ouachita's.
Where do you live now?

HH, Fossis...............

OP
OP
C

Cass

Feb 16, 2005
Hi Fossis, I live in S. Ms. now, about 30 miles inland from the Coast, and believe me, that is not near far enough to miss the affects of the Hurricanes when they come onshore.Both Camille and Katrina, of course were the worse, and had almost the same trac, and we were close enough to say that we were in the direct path of both. I remember the Tornados in Ark. and don't know which is worse , them or the hurricanes.With the hurricanes we have plenty of tornados too, so, one is about as bad as the other. One thing about the heat down here is that almost every mid morn, we will get a bit of sea breeze, and that helps some. There comes a time though when it just gets to hot, or to cold for us old dudes, and we can't stand to much of either like we once could.. HH, Cass

ark turtle

Nov 2, 2007
4 jan 2009

You guys talking about hot, and hard work.. Y'all had it easy, my job was,, off loading slabs all day,,

Do you Arkansas boys, know what that is..?????????????

Ark Turtle

OP
OP
C

Cass

Feb 16, 2005
Can't say that I know about off loading slabs all day, or whether it was easier or harder or not, but I can tell you what it is like to work 43+ years under a welding shield working construction out in the elements and exposed to weather extremes of below freezing/sleet/ rain/snow/wind, to choking/blistering Louisiana/Mississippi heat/humidity!

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ark turtle said:
4 jan 2009

You guys talking about hot, and hard work.. Y'all had it easy, my job was,, off loading slabs all day,,

Do you Arkansas boys, know what that is..?????????????

Ark Turtle

Sure do, did that myself, plus cut the logs, haul the logs, unload the logs, then stack the lumber. :thumbsup:

Fossis..............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread