• RED CROSS LOCK - FRONT.jpg
    RED CROSS LOCK - FRONT.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 303
  • RED CROSS LOCK - BACK.jpg
    RED CROSS LOCK - BACK.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 298
T

TreasureTales

If the cross (saltire) on the reverse of the lock had originally been painted red, it might resemble the Flag of St. Patrick. See this link for an overview http://www.doyle.com.au/st_pats_flag.htm

Other than that, I don't know what it means or where it was made. Where did you find it, anywhere near Boston or any other city that has a large Irish population?

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
It's the case of a warded brass padlock dating from around 1890-1910. "Red Cross" was just a brand or model name; the lock has no connection to the organization of the same name. The design on the other side of the case has no special significance and is simply decorative as well; various "X" patterns were commonly used on warded locks of the period. This particular lock is listed in Arnall's The Padlock Collector, 6th Ed.: #13, "Warded Part 3," pp. 264, 266. Arnall values the lock at $15 in good condition; however, it's not unusual for it to bring more.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
9volt

9volt

Nov 2, 2006
south carolina
Detector(s) used
Explorer.SE
TreasureTales said:
If the cross (saltire) on the reverse of the lock had originally been painted red, it might resemble the Flag of St. Patrick. See this link for an overview http://www.doyle.com.au/st_pats_flag.htm

Other than that, I don't know what it means or where it was made. Where did you find it, anywhere near Boston or any other city that has a large Irish population?

i found it in urbana illinois at a site that once had some old houses on it but my sons school now owns the land,as far as any irish population goes one can only guess. ??? thanks for the info tho

Upvote 0
OP
OP
9volt

9volt

Nov 2, 2006
south carolina
Detector(s) used
Explorer.SE
PBK said:
It's the case of a warded brass padlock dating from around 1890-1910. "Red Cross" was just a brand or model name; the lock has no connection to the organization of the same name. The design on the other side of the case has no special significance and is simply decorative as well; various "X" patterns were commonly used on warded locks of the period. This particular lock is listed in Arnall's The Padlock Collector, 6th Ed.: #13, "Warded Part 3," pp. 264, 266. Arnall values the lock at $15 in good condition; however, it's not unusual for it to bring more.

:o dude i need to have a search engine that has the same knowledge as you, and the rest of these guys on here....anybody lookin for a search engine job? ::)

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

That PBK is phenomenal!! What an encyclopedic amount of information he has at his disposal. VERY IMPRESSIVE.

Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
very very cool! and yes.....PBK is quite amazing! are you sure youre name isnt mark parker PBK? ;)

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

hollowpointred said:
very very cool! and yes.....PBK is quite amazing! are you sure youre name isnt mark parker PBK? ;)

That's funny because I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday!!!!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread