OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is 7 inches long, 3.5 inches wide and 2.5 inches thick and weighs a little over 4 lbs. Thanks.

R.J.

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I wouldn't even guess what it might be, but you'll be suprised by what the good members here can come up with!! good luck.

kenb

O

Ole Mole

If anyone would know I think that it would be Badger as he has been doing all of those lumber-jack camps.

Interesting find just the same.

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a pic from a book called '' A Museum of Tools'' by Eric Sloan .
It seems like it could be a ''double ender'' head that was never completed by the smithy .
Nice Find !
mojjax

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 424
OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah, that's what it looks like! Although the blacksmith looks like he was in a hurry ;D thanks for the info mojjax!!!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a worn down and broken early axe head to me. There are so many different varieties and many were the private design of some local blacksmith.

Lots of people give wrought iron thumbs down but every piece is unique and is like a signature from the past.

Your axe is a wonderful find.

Badger

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Great research Mojaxx, could very well be, But Gypsy's got a point. I guess If you beat the hell out of the blunt side long enough it could fold in.

kenb

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok.....I think I figured this out. The person was using this axe as a hammer.....probably busting rocks, (there is a lot here in the hill country)....the opposite end is flattened out a little, this caused it to crack or split which in turn caused it to fly off the handle.....WOW I feel like Sherlock Holmes just solving a mystery!!!!! Thanks for all of your input!

RJ

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Garret Ace 250, At Pro
Looks like an old homemade wood splitter to me. I seen a few of those back in Tennessee the flattened end is where a hammer was used to finish splitting the firewood if the splitter became stuck in it. I busted a few cords with one like it in my younger days. Wouldn't even think of picking one up now. LOL. Anyway still a nice find. Ted

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi ,cool find and bobs right there hundreds of different types of axeheads and the blacksmith made one mit be only one.historical art :D :D :D

tinpan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread