What's new

Old Brass Casings

jimbambery

Tenderfoot
Joined
May 25, 2014
Messages
4
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Bend, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering what most folks do with all of the old brass bullet and shotgun casings they might find. Is it worth the effort to save them to cash in at a later date or do folks generally just throw them away. Just starting this hobby and have already collected quite a few of them. Your input would be appreciated.

Jim
 
Last edited:
I was at a gun range once about 10 years ago and someone was shooting a M-60 machine gun.......he left the empty brass there, so we picked them all up, probably around 1000 of them.....took them to a scrap yard and got $40 I think.
 
A lot of anything is usually worth something.
 
It’s not a good idea to throw away anything that consists of metal! You won’t just be polluting the environment but you might miss out on a chance to earn a few extra bucks for yourself in the process because metal scrap is a highly priced commodity! Yellow Pages will throw up a list of scrap yards in your city. Have you heard of Sims? Check this out. I always go down to Sims Metal in Redwood City whenever I have accumulated a good quantity of scrap metal. Remember this: the more scrap metal you have, the more you’ll earn!
 
I hoard stuff, except the bottle caps, foil, & trash.
 
If they are not corroded and in good shape they can be reloaded. I always bring my spent brass home with me when I leave the range.
 
If you get a good amount of them they should be worh a few bucks as scrap.
luvsdux
 
I don't mind finding brass casings. Various brands and sizes look good in display cases.
Peace
 
It’s not a good idea to throw away anything that consists of metal! You won’t just be polluting the environment but you might miss out on a chance to earn a few extra bucks for yourself in the process because metal scrap is a highly priced commodity! Yellow Pages will throw up a list of scrap yards in your city. Have you heard of Sims? Check this out. I always go down to Sims Metal in Redwood City whenever I have accumulated a good quantity of scrap metal. Remember this: the more scrap metal you have, the more you’ll earn!

Vinson, EXCELLENT advice and thanks for the enlightenment.

Jim
 
I reload the ones that I can and then recycle the ones that I can't.
 
Keep 'em, they add up after awhile, and can be worth plenty of money - besides, the stuff is date-able, you can get an idea of the decades of use in your area.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom