What's new

Old Brass Lock

deershed

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2013
Messages
3,307
Reaction score
4,103
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this at our Colonial property. Had about a foot of rusted chain attached at bottom of lock.

Quarter is for size reference only.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    28.2 KB · Views: 132
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    23.7 KB · Views: 128
Upvote 30
Nice find! That has to be a very old lock from the style and probably dates to Colonial times. Its hand made. Score. :icon_thumright:
 
Looks like a railroad lock to me do I see "W.M.R.R" on the shackle? I'll bet it's Western Maryland Rail Road, which still operates a scenic touring train, I'll bet they'd love to see it
 
Looks like a railroad lock to me do I see "W.M.R.R" on the shackle? I'll bet it's Western Maryland Rail Road, which still operates a scenic touring train, I'll bet they'd love to see it

You nailed it!! Those initials are W.M.R.R. and stand for Western Maryland Railroad. I haven't found a date yet when this lock was made. It was manufactured by E.T. Fraim Lock Co.

Thanks for the help!!
 
I would guess a date range of late 1800s to around 1900 with that style of lock, they are VERY collectable and even with no key that one could bring around 100$ to the right collector
 
That is a beautiful lock, deershed, congratulations. I hope your research yields more info on it for you. Sub 8-)
 
That's a really nice old lock! Congratulations! :occasion14:
 
You say it had the chain with it attached or not. I have one with the chain about 9 inches long attached at the bottom ,coooooollllll ,vanzuthen
 
Very cool lock
 
Nice lock. Should be plenty of good stuff there. Had to be stuff there worth locking up
 
You say it had the chain with it attached or not. I have one with the chain about 9 inches long attached at the bottom ,coooooollllll ,vanzuthen

There was about a foot of chain still attached. It was all rusted so I cut it off.
 
Make a great lock for a treasure chest!!
 
Looks like a railroad lock to me do I see "W.M.R.R" on the shackle? I'll bet it's Western Maryland Rail Road, which still operates a scenic touring train, I'll bet they'd love to see it

Heck...Cumberland is my neck of the woods! Cool find!
 
that's a killer lock!, very neat!
 
That old padlock is a beautiful find! :occasion14:

I've only found one old brass lock, hope my next one is a railroad lock like yours.

Dave
 
Very nice find DS! That thing looks really old. GL&HH.
 
Nice one! It still has moving parts! The key latch. Congrats!
 
Very nice Find.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom