Old cartridge cases

Timbermaster

Oct 21, 2018
MT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Nokta Makro Simplex, Minelab 540
Primary Interest:
Other
More cartridge cases from the mine camp. These are transitional .50-70 cases utilizing the Benet primer system where a rimfire cartridge was fitted with an internal primer crimped inside in the center of the case head. The invention of these led the way for the development of the modern centerfire cartridge with a removable primer and quickly pushed the less reliable large caliber rimfire cartridges to the trash bin of history. These are fairly rare and I have found only 4 examples in my detecting career, with 3 coming from this site. The cartridge was developed for the Springfield 1866 rifle and was used extensively by the military in the Indian Wars and on the plains by buffalo hunters. When the military adopted the more powerful .45-70 in 1873, the .50-70 lost favor and eventually became obsolete. The 3rd picture is an example of a modern Boxer primed centerfire cartridge for comparison. The 4th shows the crimp that held the Benet primer against the case head.
IMG_5953.jpeg
IMG_5952.jpeg
IMG_5949.jpeg
IMG_5954.jpeg

Upvote 9

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More cartridge cases from the mine camp. These are transitional .50-70 cases utilizing the Benet primer system where a rimfire cartridge was fitted with an internal primer crimped inside in the center of the case head. The invention of these led the way for the development of the modern centerfire cartridge with a removable primer and quickly pushed the less reliable large caliber rimfire cartridges to the trash bin of history. These are fairly rare and I have found only 4 examples in my detecting career, with 3 coming from this site. The cartridge was developed for the Springfield 1866 rifle and was used extensively by the military in the Indian Wars and on the plains by buffalo hunters. When the military adopted the more powerful .45-70 in 1873, the .50-70 lost favor and eventually became obsolete. The 3rd picture is an example of a modern Boxer primed centerfire cartridge for comparison. The 4th shows the crimp that held the Benet primer against the case head. View attachment 2098900 View attachment 2098902 View attachment 2098903 View attachment 2098905
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread