Old Cave in Southern Ohio

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to relay a story from my youth that still stays in the back of my mind. When I was growing up, we had an elderly neighbor who told my dad about a cave on his property. He told of how in the winter that snow would melt around the interest, but it looked to have caved in, and he wanted my dad to help dig it out. He was hoping it was an old Indian cave.

The old man died before we could investigate. Fast forward a few years, to when I was a teenager, and my interest and curiosity led me to the old man's property, on the hill, behind his house. My brother and I went almost to the top of the hill and found the "cave". It looked like a den, and you could feel cool air coming out an opening just large enough for a raccoon to enter.

We tried to remove some rocks, but they where to large, and we eventually gave up. I'm in the process of going back up there as soon as I get permission from the new owners. I'm sure there must be another opening because of the air flow. I don't plan on going inside, even if I can, but I will use a camera on a remote control vehicle to search, or just lower a camera into the hole.

The rock is sandstone, and would be dangerous to venture into. Doe anyone have more advice on how to investigate this cave?

The reason I posted this in this topic section is because I live where the Shawnee's upper and lower town was located, and where the Scioto River meets the Ohio, and it's possible that some silver could be found.

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
coinhelp,
Very intresting story, I have been reading some history of Ohio Shawnee Indians. You live very close to an old Indian village, i think it was located near yellow springs and old town. I have a thread on this page called "(bluejacket) story about the mine i found near red river" .....Its a great story describing the Indians from Ohio. The Indians you speak of traveled from Ohio to Ky along the warriors path to trade for goods, food, and hides. The Indian village was a trading post, same as the one that was located here in Ky.

Yes you are right about the cave having another entrance if you feel a breeze coming from the opening. Use caution when researching this cave. I have seen many cave that have a very small opening that drop vertical hundreds of feet into a much larger chamber. The way many of these caves are expored is by repelling into the cave. Congrads on your find, i will tell you i know for a fact that there was alot of Indian activity around your area. Look for carvings, or clues that might tell how the place might have been used.... -Ki-

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
The man said it caved in. has your working on that hill, walk around it and see if there are places that look sunk in, they would fill up with debris and leaves, with air coming out that one opening, there may be many more openings.
if the village was on a flat, near creeks and with a hill or several hills they would use any cave or small rock house to store meats and grains, tools, weapons and such. if they moved to another location for planting or hunting, they would have safe storage for when they got back. good luck.

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, be very careful if you plan to excavate the opening. You may be digging into a drop of some sort. Using a camera on a pole would be a better choice to be able to see what's in front of you before you dig. Don't rush into this, whatever's there is going to be there when you get there. Good luck to you.

OP
OP
CoinHELP!

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the advice, a camera will always lead my way. The cave is located in Scioto County, and I'm a bit of an Ohio history buff, and read a lot about the Shawnee. I do hope to look into this, and will post my progress, and will be taking video.

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
This may help your search some.......... wish you the best :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Indians7.gif
    Indians7.gif
    150.5 KB · Views: 2,846
  • Indians2.gif
    Indians2.gif
    69.3 KB · Views: 7,202

flyinpig

Jan 10, 2007
Have you checked to see if there were any coalmines in the area? Many coal shafts "breath" and will have melted snow because the air coming out stays around 40 to 50 degrees or so. Ifyou do decide to venture in, I would strongly advise an air monitor and do not disturb any standing water as this could release gasses.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread