Old Creasoting/Lumber Disc

Bbqmiller

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my second time out with my Garrett at pro in my backyard. Not sure what this is. I had posted this in the Garrett forum, but someone suggested I post it here

I had a little time this afternoon before the sun set. Was using pro mode/zero to get use to sounds. Found this circular weight? (Not sure what it is). Has Eppinger and Russell Co 165 Broadway Ny Creosoting and yellow pine lumber on one side - the other side has Creosoting Works - Jacksonville Fla - Long Island City NY. I am thinking it was a desk weight. It doesn't seem to open up

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is there an opening/slit on the left hand side where the notch is? First thing that came to mind was a advertising tape measure.

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The little ball in the center of the top pic looks like an oiling point. It was pressed in and a couple of drops of oil was added? Also served as a screwdriver slot. Could be a tape measure? Tony

Upvote 0

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with pepperj. Looks like a small tape measure. Back in the day many hardware stores gave away promotional yard sticks, maybe this was what the preferred customer received.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Bbqmiller

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone - pepperj got it. It does have a small indent for the tape. Found this reference in google books - watch sized tape measure in gun metal case - look at bottom right hand side of document - this was from 1916 wood preserver bulletin

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread