Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll bet metal detecting a (old 50s-60s) abandoned drive - in theater would be a good spot:)
People walking around in the dark(half tanked) to the refreshment stand.They have to of dropped their silver change,on the ground.
I know for a fact, back then I didn't care squat about change.I probably dropped many silver dimes/quarters @ the drive-in.And a few Budweiser's :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If by "good spot" you mean "garbage filled cess pit", you would be right. I have been to a few. The ground is literally a carpet of crowncaps and pulltabs, and 99% of them were paved. You would be better off wish a shovel and a screen because a detector is just about useless.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many drive ins had play areas below the screen where kids played. I'd hit that spot first and would definitely use a sniper coil.

OP
OP
RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had 3 drive-ins w/in 10 miles of where I lived & None were paved.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still have 1 here, lots of grass area's . We take the kids 2 or 3 times a year :icon_thumleft:

RudyT

Nov 23, 2017
LaPorte, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree we used to have on that wasn’t paved unfortunately they tore it down and built apartments there. It probably would of been a good place to look. Good luck!

searching 4

Dec 6, 2017
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
garret ace 200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
used to be 2 locally , now they have become a Walmart and Lowes along with several other stores...I always thought it would be an ok place to MD but not here

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If by "good spot" you mean "garbage filled cess pit", you would be right. I have been to a few. The ground is literally a carpet of crowncaps and pulltabs, and 99% of them were paved. You would be better off wish a shovel and a screen because a detector is just about useless.

Hilarious that was exactly my experience as well. An overlapping carpet of tabs and caps by the concession area. Parking and screen area had been built on. Even so with the sea of trash, I would detect another old drive-in if I had the opportunity.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
We had one, but it was gravel paved, and extremely hard to dig. Lots of trash too.

I hope that yours is better. GL!

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Mentor and I found one back in the early 80s. Closed down, unpaved. Owner told us to have a ball. It was tough...but once we got those old Blue Box Whites tuned in properly, it ended up being pretty profitable. Surprisingly few tabs...but enough caps to build a Buick! 😂

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
With permission, my father and I just hit one over the summer. It was sniped many times before, but we found about a dozen silvers lots of clad and I got really lucky and found...a large cent?

But the trash? You may have heard of the term, "machine gun iron". This was "machine gun aluminum". There were so many tabs you can see piles on the surface. Crown caps, bits of foil, chunks of metal from the speakers plus, there were stubble from thick bushes to contend with. But still, it was some fun.

OP
OP
RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here at the lake we had one.Grass no pavement.And 3 years ago it caught fire.Nothing but weeds now:)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted just one of those.....gravel lot with a grass playground area. The good was the playground area right in front of the screen. Everywhere else was miserable. I did find lots of silver and wheats, but, they were all beat up and/or bent from being run over for decades. TONS of tabs and caps and other foil crap. I'd probably hunt another, but, wouldn't really look forward to it too much. In a gravel lot like this one, I'd wait until after a good rain and bring a good set of digging tools.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Had one growing up, then in my spent youth/teenage days it was the party centre for Friday/Saturday nights. The drive inn closed and we decided it was time to clean it out of it's riches :laughing7: We found a few coins but the amount of beer that must been consumed at that location was crazy.
Now it's a throw up what had more trash the drive inn or under the bleachers of the local fair grounds.

OP
OP
RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had one growing up, then in my spent youth/teenage days it was the party centre for Friday/Saturday nights. The drive inn closed and we decided it was time to clean it out of it's riches :laughing7: We found a few coins but the amount of beer that must been consumed at that location was crazy.
Now it's a throw up what had more trash the drive inn or under the bleachers of the local fair grounds.

Do I know you ? LOL :)

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you find one that had grassy areas around the edge of the parking field, that hasn't been touched by modern metal detectors, I imagine you will be hunting a bottle cap carpet.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make sure you bring an ice pick or a screwdriver since your digging tool will be useless in compacted gravel. I run into the same thing when I hunt flea markets.

Sandancer

Jul 18, 2014
Have hunted one many times. One of my favorite spots but most challenging. All past comments are right on. I suggest a very small sniper coil with good separation. Found silver, big and small, toys, tokens, ect.

Mikebk03

Dec 23, 2017
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My little town had one, but now its a cemetary! Wouldn't dare go detect there lol!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Old drive in theaters are very good for finding coins, but they are full of modern trash (pull tabs, foil, screw tops...etc.). The key is a small coil, work slow and choose wisely the hunting areas.

GL & HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread