Old Excal with a WOT!!

stpauli914

Jun 7, 2011
Gulf Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up an older Excal with a 15" WOT on it! Didn't have a battery so I got a real good deal not knowing if it worked or not :)Its well worn but works great!!!!! I sprayed the bottom of the coil with a couple coats of bed liner paint. I did a few bench tests and HOLY COW!! Compared to the stock 10" Tornado on my new Excal 2 I can tell this baby is gonna get some serious depth!! Noticed the sensitivity has to be turned a bit further down but it doesn't seem to affect depth in the least. I have a question as to the age of the excal. The decals are very worn but the best identifier I can give you is that there are white lightning bolts on a black background on the tabs that mount to the shaft. The knobs have all been changed and it has been opened at least once so I am not going to submerge it, just use it for edge hunting. Can't wait to get out there!! Pics to come.....

Aaron

Upvote 0
OP
OP
stpauli914

stpauli914

Jun 7, 2011
Gulf Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pictures as promised:

I had to rig the shaft to suit my needs, it was set up as a hip mount or some weird design. I drilled it for the configuration you see here. It swings comfortably.

Excal004.jpg

Excal003.jpg

Excal005.jpg

Excal001.jpg

Excal006.jpg

Aaron

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey thats great, I saw this on ebay a couple of weeks ago and was watching it and missed the final couple of minutes of the auction. I was going to pick it up and use my spare Excal II battery on it and as you, just use it on the wet sand and to wade, not submerge it as I had my suspicions about getting it wet too. Congrats, It was a good price, hope you find a ton of the goods with it, and I would have snipped it at the last second if I hadn't forgot :laughing9: HH

OP
OP
stpauli914

stpauli914

Jun 7, 2011
Gulf Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looschange,

Thanks! I actually didn't win it in the auction. I tried to snipe it and was outbid(2 seconds not enough time to rebid GRRR) well anyway, I had forgotten all about it and 2 days later I get a second chance offer(for a lot less than the auction ended for). I snatched it and am very pleased with my purchase :) Now I just need to find a deal on a spare battery so I don't have to keep swapping my new battery back and forth :)

Aaron

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have a blue sword, first type, and it has the black with white lightning bolts, square mounting tabs (yours are cut to fit the newer style battery pack) and the white around the knobs on a black background. I dont have a solid blue one to check against, but mine has been great. You should be able to see a handwritten #number inside the case, through the clear tube. I think from the bottom. That would also help. But I think it is the oldest model, which is good. Here is the best deal out there for good battery packs and chargers. http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/items.asp?db=48
I put a 15 x 12 SEF Double D coil on mine and it is great on the beach, but in the rough water it is tough, easier to just use the smaller coil in the water.

Attachments

• Diving with Cory 11-14,15.jpg
    Diving with Cory 11-14,15.jpg
    532 KB · Views: 507

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here's some more pics of mine to compare, and the #number shot.

Attachments

• Excal pictures 002.jpg
    Excal pictures 002.jpg
    575.2 KB · Views: 577
  • Excal pictures 003.jpg
    Excal pictures 003.jpg
    491.2 KB · Views: 477
  • Excal pictures 007.jpg
    Excal pictures 007.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 450

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I can see after studying your pics against mine, you have a blue sword. You can see the hilt/guard of the sword where it comes up by the threshhold knob. Those are good. But I dont think I would trust their waterproofing job. If you want it waterproofed, you should take the end caps off, by using an allen wrench, and very carefully prying/sliding out the ends. There are O rings on the end caps, replace them. Ace hardware should have them. lube them with silicone grease. Then when putting it back together, use silicone grease on inside of barrel, and on end cap. Do this quickly, and slide together, dont put it on heavily, just a thin, even coat. This should be done in an air conditioned room to keep it dry. Slide until back to where the allen screws go, and tighten them. Put a seal of silicone sealant on endcap to barrel joint and on allen screws. Do this on both ends.

OP
OP
stpauli914

stpauli914

Jun 7, 2011
Gulf Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve,

That is it alright! Thanks!! I cut the square mounting tabs at an angle to accomodate the battery. Yours looks in excellent cosmetic condition, mine is well worn. I think the guy who owned it used it a lot and he had it atatched to a sort of hip mount/chest mount. Also the blue tape is securing two loops at either end that he was using to clip this belt mount onto. It looks well sealed but I am not going to risk it. I have my new Excal 2(under warranty for 11 more months) for under water and I will use this for edge hunting and or as a spare or for my mom or dad to use. We are staying at the beach for a week right after the 4th of July so I will get some serious time in and my mom really wants to try as well! Thanks again and thanks for the link on the battery pods!!!! :thumbsup:

HH,
Aaron

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember that excal also, they had some real good closeups of the end caps and she is aleaker...A old trick of the sword models was to take the decal off the pod to watch for water inside. What steve said is very easy to do, and takes more time locating the O Rings....which the size is
For the newer models.. .........3mm thick x 32mm ID, 38mm OD

or replacement for the old Excal "O" rings. Ace Hardware ... One is the end cap ring and the other is the outer dust shield ring for the shafts

the end caps seals should be clean like in the picture

Attachments

• IMG_6943[1].JPG
    IMG_6943[1].JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_6944[1].JPG
    IMG_6944[1].JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_5885 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_5885 (Medium).jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 379
OP
OP
stpauli914

stpauli914

Jun 7, 2011
Gulf Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just put it back on ebay. Changed my mind and decided to go with a PI as my second detector. Now, which PI to get........

HH,
Aaron

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread