Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find! Looks like a sunflower design, so definitely not military. Probably pre-1820, based on the shank and lack of stamping on the back. I'm no expert, but I've learned a lot since I started finding flat buttons myself.

OP
OP
Vino

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find! Looks like a sunflower design, so definitely not military. Probably pre-1820, based on the shank and lack of stamping on the back. I'm no expert, but I've learned a lot since I started finding flat buttons myself.

Thanks Tim..

NJ Garrett

Apr 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a few buttons that are similar to this. Folks on this site told me that they were "tombac" buttons, circa late 1700's. Hope this helps!

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice decorative flaty. Looks to be mid 1750 or earlier. I dont believe its a Tombac. Tombac's are usually a white metal, and in most cases hold up better then there copper comrades depending on the soil. Here is a button back type list for future finds, sorry there are no pictures but its helpful. Just right click and save to where you want... Arty

Attachments

• Button Backs 1.jpg
    Button Backs 1.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Button Back  2.jpg
    Button Back 2.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Button Backs 3.jpg
    Button Backs 3.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 72

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a 1750-80s dandy button, maybe not the usual large one but you get small/medium ones as well. Civvy not military.

OP
OP
Vino

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice decorative flaty. Looks to be mid 1750 or earlier. I dont believe its a Tombac. Tombac's are usually a white metal, and in most cases hold up better then there copper comrades depending on the soil. Here is a button back type list for future finds, sorry there are no pictures but its helpful. Just right click and save to where you want... Arty

Thanks arty...that should help in the future also...

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Confusion can come from the fact that archeologists (who write the books) incorrectly call certain silvery-grey metal buttons simply Tombac buttons. In actuality, there are two basic types of Tombac: the color of one type is golden, the other is silvery-grey (or "white").

In Metallurgy dictionaries, the metal named Tombac is a form of brass, containing approximately 85% copper with 15% zinc. Simple Tombac's color is "golden" (distinctly more "orange" than yellow brass). The other version of Tombac, which we button-diggers are familiar with although most do not know its correct name, is called White-Tombac, because it is classified among what metallurgists call the "White Metals." White-Tombac differs from ordinary Tombac in that it contains a small percentage of Arsenic (which is a metal) along with the usual copper and zinc. Adding Arsenic to the molten copper-&-zinc alloy changes its color to silvery-grey. The Arsenic in the alloy may be the explanation for why White-Tombac buttons often come out of two centuries of burial with little or none of the patina-encrustation we typically see on dug buttons.

During World War Two, some Canada 5-cent coins were made of simple Tombac. Here is a photo to show you its color. The other photo (a 1998 Romania 100 Lei coin) shows what White-Tombac looks like when it is highly polished.

The confusion could be remedied if the late-1700s buttons were called White-Tombac buttons instead Tombac buttons. The DAACS document's section on "Button Metal Color," it says (but doesn't "do" in the charts there)... "Tombac buttons should be [classified as] white, unless there is evidence of gilding (goldplating)." See section 1.15 in the DAACS document. http://www.daacs.org/wp-content/uploads/buttons.pdf

Attachments

• coin_1942Canada5cent_tombac02.jpg
    coin_1942Canada5cent_tombac02.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 91
  • coin_White-Tombac_Romania_VladTepesCoin-1998_RomaniaTombac.jpg
    coin_White-Tombac_Romania_VladTepesCoin-1998_RomaniaTombac.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice button, Vino! Lots of great info from the kind folks here on TNet as usual too!

OP
OP
Vino

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Confusion can come from the fact that archeologists (who write the books) incorrectly call certain silvery-grey metal buttons simply Tombac buttons. In actuality, there are two basic types of Tombac: the color of one type is golden, the other is silvery-grey (or "white").

In Metallurgy dictionaries, the metal named Tombac is a form of brass, containing approximately 85% copper with 15% zinc. Simple Tombac's color is "golden" (distinctly more "orange" than yellow brass). The other version of Tombac, which we button-diggers are familiar with although most do not know its correct name, is called White-Tombac, because it is classified among what metallurgists call the "White Metals." White-Tombac differs from ordinary Tombac in that it contains a small percentage of Arsenic (which is a metal) along with the usual copper and zinc. Adding Arsenic to the molten copper-&-zinc alloy changes its color to silvery-grey. The Arsenic in the alloy may be the explanation for why White-Tombac buttons often come out of two centuries of burial with little or none of the patina-encrustation we typically see on dug buttons.

During World War Two, some Canada 5-cent coins were made of simple Tombac. Here is a photo to show you its color. The other photo (a 1998 Romania 100 Lei coin) shows what White-Tombac looks like when it is highly polished.

The confusion could be remedied if the late-1700s buttons were called White-Tombac buttons instead Tombac buttons. The DAACS document's section on "Button Metal Color," it says (but doesn't "do" in the charts there)... "Tombac buttons should be [classified as] white, unless there is evidence of gilding (goldplating)." See section 1.15 in the DAACS document. http://www.daacs.org/wp-content/uploads/buttons.pdf

Wow!!! Thanks for all that great info. .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread