Old Gun?

dcrooksjr

Greenie
Mar 8, 2007
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Its still cold up here in the granite state, so I though I would share something that my uncle found a few years ago.
My uncle is a dumpster diver been doing it for as long as I can remember, one day about two years ago he shows me this gun that he found and asked me if I thought it was real. I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT GUNS but I took a look any way. This pistol looks like it is from either the revolutionary or civil war era, since he found it in MASS I cast my vote for revolution. My uncle is bipolar so I know for a fact that this gun is still in his possesion, he keeps almost every thing he finds. I think the only thing that has stopped him from getting the gun looked at is his paranoia, hes' afraid of getting in trouble.
The next time I have this gun in my hands is their anything in particular that I can look at to determine if it is indeed real and not a modern re-pro.
I was also thinking of offering him $40 for the gun even if its not real its a stand up re-pro that could be the beginning of my collection, rather than it sitting in a storage unit getting rusty.

Upvote 0
T

tippy_canoe

Hi dc
Tell him not to worry about getting in trouble - after all, you are in the "Live Free or Die" state!
The gun will more than likely be either a flintlock or a cap & ball pistol and if you're not a black power loader...you'd be hard pressed to make it work, so no worries about that either.

A flint pistol will actually hold a small piece of flint on the hammer that creates the spark that starts the reaction. A cap & ball pistol will have a little seat where a percussion cap sits and the hammer comes down to strike it and start the reaction. You can google image search "flint pistol" and "cap & ball pistol" to see the differences I'm talking about.

good luck,
-tippy

OP
OP
D

dcrooksjr

Greenie
Mar 8, 2007
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I googled the gun names you gave me, the pistol is a flint lock. Now I just need to determine its age.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Hi dc, any chance you could get a picture of this gun? Also maybe just buying the gun at whatever the cost, might not be a bad Idea just to get it out of your uncles hands since he has issues that could lead to trouble with it.

OP
OP
D

dcrooksjr

Greenie
Mar 8, 2007
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I'm going to give him a call today, hopefully he still has it. I planned on offering him $40 for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread