What's new

Old home stead help.

jadejackal

Tenderfoot
Joined
Sep 7, 2011
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Hello.
I've found a site that had an old home stead on it. I've got permission to MD on it. But I am a little unclear where the home stead was. Does anybody see any indicators? I believe that the cabin was on the right hand side of the gravel road. I doubt there is much of interest there as it is out in the sticks. Or should I say sage brush? But I am doing part of this as a county history project so I want to investigate everything.
Thanks.

1.webp
 
You might search early USGS Topographic mapping of this area (late 1800's early 1900's). . . they will most often
show cultural features (i.e. building structures) that were present during the initial topographic surveys.

Also, research local & county resources (historical societies, libraries, county clerk/recorder of deed offices)
for any early maps they may have on file.

When you're out in the field, look for old, shattered glass, ceramics, square nails, rusted iron or anything
that appears "out of the ordinary" or altered by man.

This spring, we located an old homesite after researching 1860 plat maps. . . and on site, we found the typical
broken ceramics & glass plus, and an 1865 three-cent piece and an 1840's large cent.

Good luck!
 
Really hard to tell from an aerial photo. I wouldn't think it would be too far off the road. Best way to find it would be to start swinging your coil looking for the iron debris where the house was if there is not a cellar hole. Or look for ornamental shrubs. That's usually a give away for a homestead. In the Spring you can look for daffodils growing. If there's a creek or run nearby try around there up on higher ground. Is that a creek running left to right on the photo?

Not sure where you're located, but here are a couple links to old maps. Mostly for the east.
http://www.historicmapworks.com/Browse/North_America/
http://historical.mytopo.com/index.cfm

-Swartzie
 
I would try where I circled. It looks to be close to a creek. Try the higher flat spot close to the road. A lot of old homesteads liked to keep close to water for bathing, and other chores. Good luck!
 

Attachments

  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    26.8 KB · Views: 234
I would go out there so as to arrive as the sun is setting. Sit in a chair and scan the ground with my eyes and glasses.
You are looking for the square foundation lines of the house as a shadowgram.
Then stake it so you can find it the next day or week.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom