- Joined
- Apr 24, 2010
- Messages
- 13,021
- Reaction score
- 28,183
- Golden Thread
- 1
- Location
- Upper Canada 🇨🇦
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 1
- Detector(s) used
- XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
- Primary Interest:
- Relic Hunting
I got back to a site early Sunday morning that I'd first detected this past spring, then again three weeks ago. But when I was driving by this week, I noticed the farmer had done a deep plow! I decided that it was worth one more try... at least until the spring when the corn will be rolled for the planting.
The ambrotype, also known as a collodion positive in the UK, is a positive photograph on glass made by a variant of the wet plate collodion process. Like a print on paper, it is viewed by reflected light. Like the daguerreotype, which it replaced, and like the prints produced by a Polaroid camera, each is a unique original that could only be duplicated by using a camera to copy it. The ambrotype was introduced in the 1850s. During the 1860s, it was superseded by the tintype, a similar photograph on thin black-lacquered iron, hard to distinguish from an ambrotype if under glass.
Also included pics of what I feel are the barn foundations on site and a picture of an ambrotype picture. Both the fork and spoon are marked 'Nevada Mfg., I find this makers cutlery often here in Ontario, they're heavy and well-made pieces of brass.
Thanks very much for looking,
Dave
PS. The last picture is of the woman I should've married!

Attachments
-
20151018_074034_resized-crop.webp78.6 KB · Views: 105 -
20151018_085357_resized-crop.webp92 KB · Views: 104 -
20151018_085424_resized-crop.webp112.3 KB · Views: 102 -
20151018_073614_resized-crop.webp56.6 KB · Views: 107 -
20151013_145215_resized-crop.webp159.7 KB · Views: 109 -
20151018_080734_resized-crop.webp87.8 KB · Views: 102 -
20151018_105812_resized-crop.webp67.7 KB · Views: 98 -
20151018_184353_resized-crop.webp66.1 KB · Views: 100 -
20151018_184444_resized-crop.webp62.6 KB · Views: 107 -
20151018_184503_resized-crop.webp41.8 KB · Views: 101 -
20151018_184728_resized-crop.webp46.7 KB · Views: 99 -
20151018_184859_resized-crop.webp53.2 KB · Views: 109 -
20151018_184954_resized-crop.webp60.8 KB · Views: 102 -
Ambrotype Photgraph.webp55.6 KB · Views: 108 -
20151014_213534-1_resized.webp48.5 KB · Views: 100
Upvote
18
. I would not be remorseful about no coins with all the relics. They will probably show up now that you've cleaned the site a bit. Good finds Dave.









