Old Honky Tonks In Texas

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Looks like some of these have great history and would be worth checking out for possible hunting sites

Anhalt Hall
Established: 1875, Might Be Texas' Oldest Hall
Anhalt Road off Texas Hwy 46
4.5 miles west of US 281
Community Calender, Texas Germanatic Heritage, Anhalt, Texas, USA Public dances during Mayfest, Summerfest and Octoberfest

Possibly the oldest farmers' cooperative society in Texas, the Germania Farmer Verein, has met here since 1875. Mayfest is on the 3rd Sunday in May, Summerfest is on the last Saturday in July, and Octoberfest is on the 3rd Sunday in October with great local performers like Chris Wall and Gary P. Nunn. The newly renovated 6000 square foot hardwood dance floor allows plenty of room for dancers of all ages.

Arkey Blue's Silver Dollar Saloon
Established: 1930s
308 Main St.
Bandera Texas
Silver Dollar Home, Arkey's Music (830) 796-8826
[email protected]
Open: Daily (music Wed, Fri, Sat & Sun)

This great Honky Tonk is in the center of "The Cowboy Capital of Texas," Bandera. Ernest Tubb once brought his Texas Troubadours to Arkey's for some great country music. Entertainer/singer/ songwriter Arkey Blue has performed here since 1968, and friend Tommy Alverson's "Buy Me a Bar" pokes fun at Arkey's lifestyle. Willie Nelson and Caesare Masse have often visited, as do local boys Bruce and Charlie Robison.

Armadillo Ballroom & Club
Brazoria Country's Favorite Dancehall
FM 521 one mile east of Brazoria, Texas
Armadillo Ballroom (979) 798-8500

Browse our site to see the monthly schedules, take a glimpse of the photo section (updated when new pics are taken), research featured bands, provide us with your feedback, or to just spend some quality "surf" time on the internet. Come back frequently to stay informed on upcoming events and schedule changes.We are proud to host many talented bands for your listening and dancing pleasure. Below are bands that perform on the Friday and Saturday nights we are open.

Bandera Cabaret Dance Hall
Established: 1936
801 Main Street
Bandera, Texas
(830) 460-3095
Thursday - Saturday, 11am - 2am

Numerous Country stars have played this Hall including Bob Wills, Hank Thompson, Ray Price Jim Reeves and Willie Nelson. Located on Main Street in the "Cowboy Capital of Texas" a host of charaters are seen. Many Dude Ranches are in the surrounding hills. "The Original Bandit," Larry Nolen, has played the Cabaret Dance Hall for many years.

Billy Bob's Texas
World's Largest Honky Tonk
2520 Rodeo Plaza, Ft. Worth, TX 76106
Home Page (817) 624-7117
[email protected]
Mon-Sat 12-2a.m. Sun 12-2a.m.

Covering 127,000 square feet with 40 bar stations, leaves plenty of room for dancers to "Waltz Across Texas", Billy Bob's Texas, capacity 6000 folks. Located in the Historic Ft. Worth Stockyards, this great place has been awarded the Best Country Music Nightclub by the Country Music Association and the Academy of Country Music 7 times. A great restaurant fuels you up for a full night of entertainment from the best Country Music has to offer. Willie Nelson, Jerry Jeff Walker, Loretta Lynn, George Jones, Chris LeDoux and many other stars have played to enthusiastic fans from around the world 'cause Billy Bob's Texas is a don't miss when in Texas. The General Store can dress Cowboys and Cowgirls from head to foot before heading to the indoor arena to watch PCA champions ride the meanest bulls around every Friday and Saturday nights at 9 & 10 p.m. No mechanical bulls here! Arrangements can be made to host groups and meetings - large or small. The excellent website gives a Virtual View of the interior, an Online Store featuring the "Live at Billy Bob's Texas" CD label, and the ability to order tickets for coming shows. Only in Texas!

Braun Hall
Established: 1893
9723 Braun Road
San Antonio, Texas 78250
(210) 588-9241
Open Every Weekend

"If you're dancin', you're not dying" is the motto around this beautiful Hall which is a Hermann Sons Lodge. Besides the immaculate dance floor, this Hall has a unique band stand that is a "cove" in one side wall. The dancers love it as they have even more room to twirl away. This is one of the very few places that a person can still see Adolph Hofner performing, who first recorded in 1936. Don't miss a chance to see this great pioneer of Texas music.

Broken Spoke
Established: 1964
3201 South Lamar
Austin, Texas
Home Page (512) 442-6189
[email protected]
Tuesday-Saturday until 2am

"We ain't fancy, but we sure are Country; and that's the way we're gonna keep it." This is the creed of owners James and Annetta White, and for over 30 years they've certainly lived up to that promise. The roll of musicians who have played "The Spoke" reads like an Encyclopedia of Texas Music History: Bob Wills, Ernest Tubb, Tex Ritter, Willie Nelson, George Strait, Chris Wall, Alvin Crow, Asleep at the Wheel, Cornell Hurd, Gary P. Nunn, and many, many more great Legends. This is the real thing! Inside the infamous "Tourist Trap" room is the best collection of Country Music memorabilia outside the Country Music Hall of Fame. It's worth the visit.

Cherry Springs Dance Hall
Might Not Be Quite The Oldest,
but Darn Close To It,
and Certainly the Most Historical
Established in 1889
Cherry Spring, Texas
Texas Germanic Heritage, E.T., Elvis' 1955/56 Tour Dates, Hermann Lehmann (830) 833-4902

This great Dance Hall has seen them all: Lefty Frizzell, Ernest Tubb, Buck Owens, Hank Williams, Ray Price, Faron Young, Asleep at the Wheel, Patsy Cline, George Jones, Adolph Hofner with Caesare Masse, Nat King Cole and, in 1956, even a young Elvis Presley (see link). Ernest Tubb is said to have lost his son, as his wife drove from Fredricksburg up the road to Cherry Springs for the evening's show, becoming involved in an accidnt which took the life of their baby son. The song "Our Baby's Book" written by Ernest was written that night with a very different tone to his familiar vocals than his many fans had ever heard before. Every time it was sung, it was the same.
Ernest, one of the four creators of Honky Tonk Music (with Ted Daffan, Floyd Tillman & Al Dexter), often played at Cherry Springs due to its historical and lively atmosphere. Located on the old Pinta Trail, the Hall was originally opened as a stop for cattle drives with old adobe bunk houses in the rear. Herman Lehmann, adopted son of Comanche Chief Quanah Parker, ran the Hall for several years "`til he drank too much beer, got too fat.."
Contact present owner Don Owen at the above number.

Cibolo Creek Country Club
Established: late 1800's
8640 E. Evans Road
San Antonio, Texas 78266
Home Page [email protected]
Presently Closed

This fantastic hall is located only 1½ miles off I-35 on a very scenic country lane along Cibolo Creek and past an old railroad bridge. Originally known as Luxello Hall, it has been a favorite venue for many performers such as Kelly Willis Joe Ely and Ponty Bone for well over 100 years. This old Hall will hold about 700 fans. A great dance floor, a long colorful bar, and the many signed photographs that adorn the walls, make this an interesting place. Presently closed, but check out the web site and drive by.

Clear Springs Cafe
Established: 1870,
The Hill Country's Oldest Dance Hall
1692 Hwy 46
New Braunfels, TX
Elvis Stopped By, Germania Farmer Verein, Clear Springs, Texas (830) 629-3777
11am-9pm (Restaurant)

The many cool and sweet springs that feed this area were first surveyed by Jim Bowie in 1825 but had been used for thousands of years by Native Americans. The first store and Dance Hall was built in 1873 by Johann Andreas Breutedt and also served as a saloon and cotton storage facility. Today the old building has been beautifully restored and is a great Texas style family restaurant with a very rustic atmosphere. Occasionaly musical events have showcased Steven Fromholz, Tracy Nelson, Clay Blaker, George Strait, and even Bo Diddley.

Club 21 Dance Hall
Established: 1893
Uhland, TX
Hwy 21 8mi East of San Marcos
(512) 398-2901
Tuesday-Sunday 2pm 'till close

This is hall is known as the "Oldest Continuously Running Dance Hall in Texas." Don Walser's CD "Rolling Stone from Texas" uses pictures of this Hall as cover art, and Don likes to play here as often as possible. Tish Hinojosa also once filmed a Shiner Beer commercial here. One of the most scenic Dance Halls in Texas with a great dance floor, cold beer, and a family tradition.

Coupland Inn & Dance Hall
Established: 1887
116 Hoxie
Coupland, TX 78615
Home Page (512) 856-2226
b.a.worthy@world net.att.net
Thu-Sat 6-10
Dancehall: Fri 7-12, Sat 7-1

The beautiful hand carved bar dates back to 1886 and has bullet holes and buck shot in it to prove it. Since La Casa Grande Ballroom occupied the hall in 1936, great music has been performed by Chris Wall, Johnny Bush, Hank Thompson, Jerry Jeff Walker, Gary P. Nunn, Johnny Gimble, Don Walser, Johnny Rodriguez, Tommy Alverson and others. A great family style restaurant adjoins the hall and is well handled by Barbara Worthy, a fine lady with class that dates back to the original times of this great hall. Don't miss a real true Texas Dance Hall and Inn. Tell them we said to say "Hey".

Daddy's $ Money
335 McDonnell
Lewisville, Tx 75057
214-222-4300
Home Page, [email protected]
4p.m.-12a.m.

Daddy'$ Money is a NEW upscale 8,000 sq. ft. Country & Western Club located just north of Dallas in the lovely city of Lewisville, TX.
This wonderfully decorated club features a great menu of food, pool tables, steel tip electronic dart boards, video games and an MP3 Jukebox with the newest and hottest country hits and more. For those who love dancing there is a 2,000 sq ft dance floor and the best in lights, sound and action. DJ Butterball spins the hits for ya on Thursday - Saturday nights along with your favorite local bands and national acts.

Dessau Music Hall
Established: 1876
13422 Dessau Road
Austin, Texas
Elvis at Dessau Hall 1955, Elvis in 1955 Presently Closed

This large, now modern, Honky Tonk is built around 122 years of interesting musical history, and a fire that completely destroyed the original structure which had an oak tree growing out of the dance floor and up through the roof. Hell, now that's Texas-a tree in the middle of the dance floor. It reminds us of another as famous a Hall in Freidresburg, Pat's Hall with their huge Oak Tree band stand and its firery demise. Many famous artists have performed here such as Ernest Tubb, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Hank Williams, Don Walser, Elvis (several times) and scores of others. This is an Austin tradition that has evolved from a famous 1050's Honky Tonk, to the home of Elvis and Willie when passing through in the 1950's and 1960's to a Tejano Nightspot and Frat hangout more recently. This is a vital part of Texas music history. It will return again.

Farmer's Daughter
Established: 1961
542 NWW White Rd
San Antonio, Texas
Closed in 1996

Texas Legend Adolph Hofner played this Hall each week for 25 years, often with Texas Fiddle Master Caesare Masse or occasionally J. R. Chatwell. Buck Owens, Faron Young, Slim Roberts, Porter Wagoner, Johnny Bush, Dolly Parton, Bob Wills, and a host of other great Country Artists have entertained at this once great Texas Honky Tonk. Mysteriously, owner Bobbi Barker was murdered and the case has never been solved.

Fischer Hall
Established: 1875
Fischer, TX off FM Road 484
from Hwy 32 on Fischer Store Rd.
(210) 935-4800

The Hall is still operated by descendants of the original family who built it. The town continues German pioneer pastimes with a handset nine-pin bowling alley. Several scenes from Willie Nelson's movie "Honeysuckle Rose" were filmed on location here. The interior of the Hall is an architectural wonder with beautiful old hand hewn beams and rafters. Adolph Hofner has played here many times and Ponty Bone has played several weddings.

Floore Country Store
Established: 1886
14464 Old Bandera Rd.
Helotes, TX 78023
(210) 695-8827

This historic monument to Texas Dance Hall music was a stomping ground for cattle drives and sheep herders as far back as 1886. Hank Williams, Ernest Tubb, Lefty Frizzell, Bob Wills, Ray Price, Robert Earl Keen, Johnny Gimble, Johnny Rodriguez, and many other Legends have played this great hall. In "Shotgun Willie" Willie Nelson refers to his coloful pal, original owner John T. Floore. For a while, Willie played Floore's every weekend.

Freiheit Country Store
Established: 1889
2157 FM 1101 off Hwy 46 East
3/4 miles from New Braunfels (5 minutes off I-35)
HumbleTime - Songwriters Radio Showcase, Map (830) 625-9400
Tue - Sat 11-2

Humble Time Radio Show is recorded here each Saturday highlighting local unknown as well as known talent. It's a great experience to attend. Owners Shorty and Rosie Haas are a great couple worth the stop just to talk to, and it's only 5 minutes off busy I-35. Cold, cold beer and good food. Geronimo Treviño performed Live here on May 24, 1997.

Ginny's Little Longhorn Saloon
"The Honkiest Beer Joint in Town"
5434 Burnet
Austin, Texas

I don't remember who got to me first. I received emails from both Karen Poston and Teri Joyce about the same time saying about the same thing... Why wasn't I covering the music scene at Ginny's Little Longhorn? Had I ever been there? Didn't I know it was the last of the Mom & Pop Beer Joints? I guess I replied, "Duh? Ah, no, and no." That was about the time I was expanding Musicalternatives from a purely South Austin newsletter to cover more of town. I was beginning to emphasize Americana music and hadn't made the connection to the great scene at the Little Longhorn. So one Saturday night, when my plans were going seriously wrong, I said to my ex-best gal "What the #%*# do you care!" and stormed off. Then I said to myself, "There are plenty of other places in this town where I can have fun... I know, I'll go check out that Little Longhorn place." My luck in this regard, at least, was good and Karen and her Crystal Pistols were playing that night. This was my first time to hear Karen and both she and the Little Longhorn quickly became favorites. Now before you get the wrong idea, Karen and I are just friends, but those gals were right, Ginny's Little Longhorn is something special. Yep, now I say, "Ginny's Little Longhorn is my home away from home." from Austin Americana

Grapetown Dancehall
Established: 1887
Grapetown, Texas
Texas Germanic Heritage, Germania Farmer Verein, Grapetown: Texas Ghost Town Dass ist alles Festival - Memorial Day

The German immigrants made their living as freighters, early "truckers" who hauled goods to the Gulf Coast. The community was on the Fredricksburg to San Antonio wagon road. This community center started as a "shootin' and singin' club" and has maintained its German heritage. In 1913 a 920' railroad tunnel was dug which today is a natural preserve for millions of bats that blacken the sky at sunset.

Gruene Hall
Established: 1878
Gruene, Texas
FM 306 W. off I-35
Home Page, Texas Gernan Heritage, 75th Germania Farmer Verein (830) 606-1281

The town was established on the Guadalupe River for the operation of the steam operated cotton gin, and by 1872 over 8000 acres were under cultivation. The Dance Hall was built by Heinrich Gruene along with a store and saloon for the local farmers. Reopened in 1979 it has inspired the entire town to be restored to its 1880’s appeal. Many young Artists from all over have played this monument to Texas Music, including Jerry Jeff Walker, George Strait, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Loose Diamonds and the Sisters Morales.
Only a few Halls such as Schroeder Hall, Fischer Hall and Anhalt Hall are oler than Gruene Hall, one of the older Honky Tonks in the entire Lone Star State. Great music all the time.

Hangin' Tree Saloon
Established: 1915
18425 2nd Street
Bracken, Texas
(210) 651-5812
Music Fri, Sat & Sun

One of the friendliest places in Texas, and with Big John here, the safest, is only 14 miles Northeast of the Alamo. This is home base for Geronimo Treviño III and the Geronimo Band, who play here the first weekend of every month, always to enthusiastic dancin' couples. The crowd is made up of everyone from local cowboys to fans from the Retama Downs horse racing track, and everyone is welcome for cold beer and great Texas music.

Kendalia Halle
Established: 1903
Kendalia, TX on Hwy 473
south of Blanco off Hwy 281
Home Page (830) 833-4902

This beautiful Hall has a 2000 square foot hardwood dance floor which has seen plenty of boot scootin' over the years. The large Oak tree out in front had a logging chain permanently attached to it where unruly patrons would be handcuffed until sobriety returned. This 94-year old Dance Hall still echoes from legends such as Floyd Tillman. An old Oak tree out back was bent by Indians to mark a trail years before the Hall was built. On March 28, 1997, "Live from Kendalia Halle" was recorded here.

London Hall
Established: late 1800's
London, Texas
Highway 377
(915) 475-2921
Music every Saturday

"A dance every Saturday for a 100 years or more," sings Johnny Bush in "The Ballad of London Hall," and Johnny wouldn't tell a lie unless he had to! The front of the Hall has a large stone fireplace, pool tables, shuffle board, and a beautiful handcarved village scene above the bar. It is open 7 days a week. They've all played here---Johnny Bush (they had to enlarge the stage for his Bandoleros), Hank Thompson (1989 - the year he was inducted into The Hall of Fame), Johnny Gimble, and Chris Wall.

Luckenbach Dance Hall
Established: 1849, Saved by Hondo 1970
Luckenbach, Somewhere, USA
Home Page, Texas Ghost Towns (Grapetown), Jerry Jeff's Home, Willie's Home, (830) 997-3224
[email protected]

The history that emulated from the Engles family and down through Hondo Couch, is still felt to those who are travel the small twisting road to Luckenbach. In 1849 Minna Engle opened a Post Office-Store-Saloon out on Snail Creek. It became a trading post for Indians and a source for supplies and entertainment for the local farmers. Back in 1970 a local farmer and a bit of a sage, Hondo Crouch, was driving by and was in need of a cold beer, but the place was closed. So, he bought it. Yep, the whole darn town, Post Office, Dance Hall, and of course, the beer joint. Hondo had a special soul with a magic touch. When Jerry Jeff Walker recorded "Viva Terlingua" live in the Dance Hall a few years later, times were revived. Twenty years later Jerry Jeff Walker returned to record "Viva Luckenbach." Thanks to JJW & Susan & the Gonzos, the old Honky Tonk & store were saved and re-souled. It's as old as a beer joint gets in Texas. Hey, it's still the Heart of Texas, and Hondo gave wisdom away. He had a true soul from deep from within his heart, and you can still feel his presence. Don't miss goin' around the corner to Grapetown and the Bat tunnel for some Hill Country history. God Bless Hondo (and John Wayne).

Nelson City Dance Hall
Old San Francisco Dance Hall & Saloon in Nelson City
1/2 mile off IH 10 Exit #533 (Welfare Rd. Exit)
NW of San Antonio By Boerne
Home 830-537-3835
[email protected]
Wed.&Thur 5 PM-11PM,Fri.& Sat. 4 PM-2 AM,Sun. 2 PM-10 PM

From the comforting sounds of violins and guitars to the flushing faces of happy two-steppers and waltzers. If you haven't experienced a Texas honky-tonk, then you haven't experienced Teaxs!
For a true Texas encounter you really need to leave the city, because it's in the country where dancehalls begin. They have served as the small town's courting stage, musician and singer's sounding stage and the dance lover's dream.
Well, Nelson City Dancehall serves up all of these and more. Located next to an old 1929 dancehall in Nelson City, Texas, this family owned treasure is the genuine article.
Promoting Texas music including Tejano, Country, Zydico, Rock'N'Roll, Blues , and Bluegrass, Nelson City Dancehall provides live music every Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Musicians enjoy playing here because of the family atmosphere and the acoustics, and as one put it, "It's the most beautiful dancehall in this part of Texas."
Friday night is steak night! Dine, dance and have an excellent steak.

Pat's Hall
Established: 1928
406 Poast Road
Fredricksburg, Texas

Only a Steven Fromholz song can come close to the complexity of the history of this famous Dance Hall and its various owners. Since 1928 when it was known as Seipp’s Hall and the local clergy preached to Hall patrons that it was "the house of the Devil," this famous Texas landmark has had a major impact on the local social structure with several generations of patrons having their Senior Proms here and courting their future mates. Tragedy also plays a chapter with a deadly fire in 1947 during a fight, and the shooting of a 63 year old man by his older brother.

Poodie's Hilltop Bar & Grill
22308 Hwy. 71 West
Spicewood, Texas
Poodie's Bar & Grill, Photos, Shows (512) 264-0318
from now til then

Nestled in the heart of God's country, Poodie's offers the best in Texas grub, live music and cold beer. Open seven days a week and just a short drive west of Austin, Poodie's is legendary for having the biggest names in music "dropping in." From Willie to Merle to Waylon to Billy Joe Shaver to Freddie Powers to Bobby Boyd, you just never know who will show up and sit in!
Poodie has even been seen around the place on rare occasions! Tell 'em "Martin, Martin" said "Hey, Big Fella".

Quihi Gun Club
Established: 1890
Castroville, TX
Country Road 4516
Quihi: Texas Ghost Town, Handbook of Texas: Quihi dances two Saturdays a month

The Quihi and Elm Creeks that surround the Dance Hall are the reason the building stands 6' feet off the ground. Many of Texas' greatest Legends like Pappy Selph, Caesare Masse, and Cliff Bruner have spent many nights in Dance Halls like this. The Club, originally built to defend against Indian attacks, is the oldest continuous running gun club in the United States. They continue to meet each month.

Riley's Tavern
Texas' First Tavern After Prohibition
8891 FM 1102 Hunter, Texas 78132
Home Page, Calender 512-392-3132
[email protected]

In September of 1933 J. C. (James Curtis) Riley, at the age of 17, drove to Austin, Texas from his home in Hunter, Texas, some 45 miles. He was in a Model "T" car with his uncle. The purpose of this trip was to obtain a beer license for his soon - to - be beer joint. It was now at the end of prohibition. He camped out on the steps of the Capital building and waited for it to open. He was the first person in line in Texas and got the first beer license! Riley saw Hunter grow into a "boom town" with cotton farmer to the east and cattle ranchers to the west. Hunter just happened to be the midway point between and Austin and San Antonio. The Missouri-Pacific Railroad decided to build a stop because of the water supply, York Creek. When the farmers and ranchers heard of this, they talked the railroad into building a dock to load their cotton and cattle. Soon the town was bustling with business. When Riley opened his doors on the old place, it was an instant success! There were people in the street and beer wagons loaded arriving daily at Riley's Tavern. Riley kept the tavern operational until 1991 (he became too sick to run it), or about 58 years. His heyday was between 1933 and 1977. Around 1977 San Marcos and Hays County went "wet" and business then slowed down. By then Riley's had been open over forty years. Riley was coasting by then. Prior to Riley taking over the place and before prohibition, the joint was known as the Galloway Saloon. The main part of the building has been dated around the mid-1800s. By the way, Riley's mother was a Galloway. Mr. Riley died in 1992 and is buried in York Creek Cemetery, not more than 2 miles from his joint and where he was born. Today Riley's is still open and offering some of the best local talent around. A great place to visit.

River Road Icehouse
Home to many, Home away from home for many more
1791 Hueco Springs Loop Road
New Braunfels, Texas 78132
Home Page, Directions, Amigo Mel's Resort 830-626-1335
[email protected]

There's another dance hall you might want on your list -- River Road Icehouse in New Braunfels. It recently remodeled and has turned into a first-class dance facility. It's hosting big artists, like Pat Green, Kevin Fowler, Roger Creager, etc... Cabins to rent, tubing on the Comal River and lots of great food and good music.

Saengerhalle
5 minutes off IH 35, a huge a/c dance hall,
and a beer garden under the Texas skies!
255 Saengerhalle Road
New Braunfels, Tx. 78130 off Hwy 46 East of New Braunfels - 2 miles
Saengerhalle, Music Calender, Map & Location, History (830) 625-4255(Hall)
[email protected]
Open Daily @ 4pm

In 1863, just two miles east of New Braunfels, five German singing groups bought the area the Hall now stands on as a meeting place for their "Men's Singing Societies." Now, the Hall includes a 10,000 square foot dance floor. In 1997 the descendants of the Hall's original founders sold the property, and it has been converted to a "new" Honky Tonk. Showcased are such Texas artists as Cornell Hurd, Sisters Morales, Gary P Nunn, Don Walser, Geronimo Trevino, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Alvin Crow and many others. A great evevening for all. Don't miss it.

Schroeder Dance Hall
Dance Hall Built in 1890
As Old As They Get!
12514 FM Rd 622
Schroeder, Tx
Dance Hall, Map, Schedule, Texas Germanic Heritage, German Farmer Verein (361) 573-7002
[email protected]
A True Texas Legend

SCHROEDER, TEXAS. Schroeder is at the intersection of Farm roads 622 and 2987, fifteen miles from Goliad. German immigrants began settling the area in the 1840s. Since supplies were available in nearby towns, the first store was not built until 1887. This establishment-which became a combination shoe store, grocery, and saloon by 1892-still supplied groceries, gasoline, and hardware in 1986. The first dance hall was constructed and opened for business in 1890. In 1918, as a result of anti-German sentiments aroused by World War I, the thirty-five residents of Germantown renamed the community Schroeder, in honor of the first townsman killed in the war, Paul Schroeder. In 1925 a fire destroyed most of the business district, although the community center and dance hall were not damaged. Schroeder rebuilt and reported 150 residents from the 1940s until the late 1960s, when 208 residents were listed. Schroeder Dance Hall remained a popular Saturday night resort. The present structure, dating from the 1920s or earlier, is a landmark where Roy Clark played his first dance, and where Hank Thompson, Jimmy Heap, Ray Price, Mel Tillis, Ernest Tubb, Tammy Wynette, and many others have played. "Schroeder always has been a quiet little place," wrote one journalist in 1979, "except on Saturday nights." In 1990 the population was still 350. This is one of Texas' greatest. Stop in to have a look or a cold one. The historical Honky Tonk trail can begin here as the immigrants headed West. Only in Texas. God Bless Texas (and John Wayne: Manny Gammage, "Texas Hatters"))

Texas Star Inn
Established: 1945
7400 Bandera Hwy
San Antonio, Texas
(210) 732-3571

Originally built as a motorcycle "beer joint," it soon became headquarters for Frank Klein and his Texas Star Playboys which included a young Larry Nolen. Mama Klein cooked burgers and served cold beer. Over the years that Mama and Papa ran the Inn, many famous artists like Ray Price, Faron Young, Roger Miller and Willie Nelson played here. When Johnny Bush came to town, Papa Klein gave him his first professional job. Johnny celebrated 30 years of playing Honky Tonks at the Inn in 1984.

Tin Hall
Established in 1890
West of Houston, Texas
Off Hwy 290
14800 Huffmeister Road
Cypress, Texas 77429
Home Page, Home, Concerts 713-664-7450

Tin Hall is the oldest entertainment complex (fancy for Honky Tonk) in Harris County (Houston, Texas). Steeped in a tradition of western flair and fun, Tin Hall has maintained its original aura, providing an exciting place for family and friends to gather for a good time. Established in 1890, Tin Hall is owned by Fred Stockton, great grandson of one of the founding families. The facility has been updated and renovated - giving it the look and feel of the glory of the Old West. Head (towards Austin)on Highway 290 west of Houston and exit at Huffmeister Road. Have a great time at another one of Texas'True Treasures.

Turner Hall
Established: 1871
103 West Travis Street
Fredericksburg, Texas
(830) 997-2204
open for private functions

This club (verein) functions more often as a community center than as a Dance Hall, in contrast to Pat's Hall, which was on the other side of Fredericksburg. Over the past 125 years weddings, receptions and reunions have often been held here. Some, in recent times, have been played by up and coming Texas Hill Country bands.

Twin Sisters Hall
Established: 1870
Twin Sisters, Texas
(830) 833-4808
dance first Saturday of the month

These old Halls echo with the great melodies of "Pappy" Selph, Cliff Bruner, Adolph Hofner, and Caesare Masse. All of them still active after over 60 years and playing better than ever! This great old hall has special dances every Christmas and New Years besides the monthly dances which always draw a good crowd. Pack up the entire family, take the scenic drive out to this historic old Hall, and discover what generations of musicians like ex-Tex Ritter's bandmate Slim Roberts are singing about. Availiable for rental for private parties and public shows & events.

Attachments

• Fischer Hall.jpg
    Fischer Hall.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 2,626
  • Luckenbach Dance Hall.jpg
    Luckenbach Dance Hall.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 2,476
  • Nelson Dance Hall.jpg
    Nelson Dance Hall.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 2,886
  • Rileys Tavern.jpg
    Rileys Tavern.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 2,820

BigRon

May 22, 2007
Richmond Texas
Detector(s) used
, BH Lone Star, BH Pinpointer, Homebuilt BFO, Index finger
Gypsy! You found a piece of my heart! These old halls are just a start. Swiss Alp hall, Hiway77 Fayette Co. Between La Grange and Schulenburg . One problem is that the parking lot was paved in old bottle caps, like sand in a desert. When I was a young man I went to many of these old dance halls chasing those pretty little Bohemian Girls ( the area is about 70% Czech)! I caught one too! (Been married to her for 26 years). When you get tired of digging up Old Falstaff and Jax beer caps you can sit down and open up a cold Shiner or Lone Star and B.S. with the old farmers. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Gypsy!

p.s. Shiner and Lone Star are the popular beers of this area.

herk

Jun 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey if anyone plans a day trip to any of these from the Dallas area let me know, I'd like to possibly join

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone heard of the 'M & T Crylight' that was in Waco back in the 1950s? It would be under water now since the water level was raised back then. My wife's mom and her husband, (second marriage) ran it until the lake level was raised. His name was Gus Crawford. (The place might have been under my mom-in-laws name.) I've never tried to research this. I've known about it since I met my wife in late 1962.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread