Old Hotel Hunt

Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On Wednesday I got to hit an old hotel with a fellow hunter. Most of my hunts have been at the beach so I got to finally got give my ProPointer and Lesche digger a good workout. The coins were primarily memorial pennies. I did snag one 1940 nickle and a mystery metal ring. At first I thought the ring was junk as it had no markings. But with some polish it shined up as if it were silver. It fails the 10K gold test. A strong magnet does tug at it - but only slightly. Perhaps it is some kind of non-standard silver alloy or it may be junk as I initially thought. Anyway it was a lot of fun and a nice change from beach hunting. HH everyone!

Attachments

• 07_14_10 finds01.JPG
    07_14_10 finds01.JPG
    254.8 KB · Views: 925
  • 07_14_10 finds02.JPG
    07_14_10 finds02.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 914
  • 07_14_10 finds03.JPG
    07_14_10 finds03.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 909
Upvote 0
I'm sorry if its not marked and it pulls to a magnet :icon_scratch: I'd say its just costume jewelry. :dontknow: But hey its a ring find, good job !! :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
I'm sorry if its not marked and it pulls to a magnet :icon_scratch: I'd say its just costume jewelry. :dontknow: But hey its a ring find, good job !! :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

Hi! Costume jewelry I tested along with the ring has a much stronger attraction to a magnet. The silver colored ring has only a very slight attraction. It was so slight I did not notice it at first. Some platinum alloys exhibit minor magnetic attraction and not all jewelry is marked (and of course marks can wear off). Anyway I am not saying the ring is not junk (it probably is junk) but at this point there is still a little bit of mystery to me. Even if the ring is silver the melt value would be trivial. However it is kind of fun trying find out more definitively. I may test the ring with a nitric and muriatic acid solution to try to determine if silver is present.

Sounds like you had a good hunt. Any day that I can find a ring I call it a good day junk or not......Matt

Some costume jewelry can go for a decent amount. You just have to have the right buyer. Etsy has a lot of old women selling their jewelery and people pay ridiculous amounts for it.

Cool finds none the less!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back