Old Local Church Token Found!

CRDigger

Greenie
Aug 11, 2006
Upstate, New York
Hey everyone!

I don't usually post too much, and generally just surf these boards, but I need to tell someone about todays hunt! For my birthday, (the big 18), my mom and I headed to an old site that we just got permission to hunt. We have only been there once before, where we pulled out two large cents, about six Indian head pennies, a V nickel, and a few wheats pennies. It was a great first day, so we knew there would be more where that came from for today's hunt.

So this morning, we got all ready, and hit the site for a few hours before it got too hot (it must have hit 90 in the sun!) At first, I'm getting a few deep signals, but nothing great. So, I decide to head down the hill a little to where the old driveway was. Right about where we think there was a fence, I got a jumpy signal on my XLT, which was ranging from 0 to 95 (I thought maybe a nickel) , but repeatable. So, I decided to dig it, since I had nothing to lose. I get down about six inches, and go over the hole again. Nothing. I go to my dirt pile, and BAM! Right on the top is this oval looking token, as you can see from the pictures. From what I can tell, it's a local Presbyterian Church token that was given out to certain members of the congregation for the Lord's supper. The church dates from about 1800 to 1950, but we think these were given out in the 1830-1850 era, though were not too sure.

Here's where I need some advice. I think I would be further ahead to get it professionally cleaned and slabbed, but I am not too sure. Is there a reputable company that will clean and slab it for a reasonable amount? I only took enough dirt off of it to identify it, and right now it is just soaking in water, since I afraid to even clean it! I'm almost positive it is lead, (46-48 VDI), so I would think it would scratch easily with my clumsy cleaning techniques. If anyone can help me, that would be great! Thanks again!

Attachments

• Church1.JPG
    Church1.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 445
  • Church6.JPG
    Church6.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 433
Upvote 0

JRich98150

May 29, 2007
Middleburg, Florida 32068
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
CR,
Might be lead or maybe pewter. If so that is soft metal. I don't have advice on how to go about cleaning it but I think it's pretty cool that you get out with your Mother and folks to hunt around. It's great to see a family enjoying this hobby together. Oh, and happy birthday! Looks like you have an interesting story behind an interesting find.

JRich

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Happy Bday, and a great find!
Baggins

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Nice find. Wow hotter than cent Texas right now, Gonna be a bone chilling winter for ya'll, better get those hunts in while you can.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread