tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandad lived his whole life on the Mississippi in Burlington Iowa except for his time in the trenches in France. We went to the river to fish or just walk around the bluffs when we visited him. Good memories of mine and hearing stories of his about historical figures such as the War Chief Blackhawk.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oldrvrrat57

Oldrvrrat57

Jan 2, 2022
Illinois
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 and XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My grandad lived his whole life on the Mississippi in Burlington Iowa except for his time in the trenches in France. We went to the river to fish or just walk around the bluffs when we visited him. Good memories of mine.
I pilot towboats on the Upper Miss and I am currently in Burlington waiting on grain barges to be loaded!
My grandad lived his whole life on the Mississippi in Burlington Iowa except for his time in the trenches in France. We went to the river to fish or just walk around the bluffs when we visited him. Good memories of mine.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pilot towboats on the Upper Miss and I am currently in Burlington waiting on grain barges to be loaded!
That's neat. I would see those barges and think I wanna work on those when I grow up. Get a picture of that paddle wheeler in Keokuk if you can. I took one of it when I was out that way some time back, but it's on one of the crashed computers out in the garage. I put them out there thinking some of the old photos never backed up might be recovered somehow.

OP
OP
Oldrvrrat57

Oldrvrrat57

Jan 2, 2022
Illinois
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 and XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's neat. I would see those barges and think I wanna work on those when I grow up. Get a picture of that paddle wheeler in Keokuk if you can. I took one of it when I was out that way some time back, but it's on one of the crashed computers out in the garage. I put them out there thinking some of the old photos never backed up might be recovered somehow.

Attachments

• 20220310_093840.jpg
    20220310_093840.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's really cool! I live near Winona. Maybe with the higher fuel prices, the USA will start to revitalize some of the most cost effective forms of goods and people transportation like barges and trains! We made a grievous error when we largely abandoned these starting in the 40's. Fuel was cheap and cars and trucks became king. They were more convenient, but no where near as efficient.
Too bad much of the land the rails ran on too was sold back to private ownership, making it darn near impossible to revitalize old rail routes.

Diggen It 1900

Mar 9, 2022
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Simplex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Mississippi River is a Fabulous waterway. I like the Burlington area. My closer Mississippi River area is Lake Pepin in Minnesota.
Brian

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice shot. Hope you post more of Mighty Mississip. My grandpa would hike me up to Blackhawks Cave and spring. It seemed like a magical place to me when I was little. We didn't do so much roaming around as he got older and I grew up, but the memories of him and I getting out along the river are the ones I do cherish.

Attachments

• 21725925d633c02335d49b6b35157fd1.jpg
    21725925d633c02335d49b6b35157fd1.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 20

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions