What's new

Old new England

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2018
Messages
2,129
Reaction score
5,914
Golden Thread
0
Location
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Image (9).webpImage (20).webpImage (21).webp A few old photos of new England back in the day. Moxie was a popular drink back in the late 1800's and well into the 1900's. It was touted as a "nerve food" but eventually it was changed to "soft drink". I drank that stuff when I was a kid because my grandfather always had it in his house. In the old days snow wasn't cleared with a plow, instead it was rolled with huge rollers pulled either by horses or oxen. I wonder if any of the "drivers" ever slipped off their seat and landed in front of the rollers as it was being pulled along.
 
Cool pics wish I could just walk into one of those lol
 
With you're metal detector, AND be able to walk back out!
 
Cool pics wish I could just walk into one of those lol
i'd like to be able to do that too, just NOT in winter.

With you're metal detector, AND be able to walk back out!
That would be something, to be able to detect back then. Would we consider finding barber coins as something common and not get all excited about it because they were in circulation at the time?
 
I dug a Moxie bottle last year!2019-02-08 001.webp
 
Nice looking bottle...…..
 
Wouldnt need a detecter go get rolls of silver coins know all the collecribles Honus wagner Babe Ruth cards depending when you were back in time and with the knowledge we have in 2019 you could predict stuff teach technology and look like a very very wise man Im liking the idea more and more I would hang around for a while
 
I was doing coin roll hunting back in the 1950's when wheat cents and silver coins were still being minted. My grandfather and I would buy a large amount of rolls at the bank, take out the ones we wanted, many of which were scarce dates and mints, and then the majority went right back to the bank. If only we knew then to save ALL silver coins.
 
Thats the thing about collecting ya never know I always think about cars like a 70 Hemi cuda convertible 5000 off the showroom A 1970 Chevelle ls6 or 7 454 SS same price
 
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:
 
If you fell under that wheel even moxie might not revive you!
 
I have some cousins from Tennessee and they LOVE Moxie. A few times a year I buy them a 12 pack and send it to them. I guess it is not a big seller there! Too bad as I love the soda.

The town of Union, Maine; which is where the inventor was born, has a pretty big museum dedicated to the soda.
 
Never seen Moxie in the Midwest. Or even heard of it. Gary
 
I have some cousins from Tennessee and they LOVE Moxie. A few times a year I buy them a 12 pack and send it to them. I guess it is not a big seller there! Too bad as I love the soda.

The town of Union, Maine; which is where the inventor was born, has a pretty big museum dedicated to the soda.
Moxie for the most part was popular only in New England with limited distribution elsewhere. It definitely had a flavor all its own.

Never seen Moxie in the Midwest. Or even heard of it. Gary
It's pretty much a New England beverage but I read where the company was recently bought by Coca-Cola so maybe it'll be distributed in other parts of the country. I think it only come sin cans nowadays.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom