What's new

Old Oil Lamp? Raised Angels, Heavy Metal

gbucci518

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jul 27, 2011
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I have I think is an old oil lamp??? It's a heavy metal. There are angels that are raised in the metal, also the handles are angels. The numbers 816 are stamped on the bottom. Not sure if the glass part is depression??? I know the long piece that would go inside is missing, but other than that in great shape. I have had it for years, and my grandfather also had it for many years.... I do have other pics. of it, but could not get others to upload.. Anything you might be able to tell me would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Gina
 

Attachments

  • lan1.webp
    lan1.webp
    455.1 KB · Views: 302
It's an oil lamp alright and a pretty nice one! I'm just guessing a date of 1920's ot there abouts, but I could be wrong, just guessing by the decoration.
 
Upvote 0
I'am considering selling it, I was trying to find out a little more about it. It really is a pretty piece.
 
Upvote 0
My wife would like to chime in on this one. ;D She LOVES that lamp. Here she is.

Your lamp is GORGEOUS! I have a few observations that may help.
1. I think the top has been replaced at some point, the difference in the finish is quite telling and the machining to the base of the top is different form the treatment of the base.
2. It appears the finish has been polished off or corroded off over the years; however that is a FANTASTIC lamp base.
3. It appears there may be a slight repair to the base; however I can not be sure from the photos but that will effect its value
4. The possible replacement top is probably later in date than the base. My guess is the base dates to early 1920's and the top is possibly 1930's or 1940's.
 
Upvote 0
I'm guessing here but the lamp part looks like some of the oil lamps my mother had and kept (early 1900's), but I would venture that at one time it had a matching ornamental lamp shade to go with the rest of the rig, chimneys are easy to come by though, any Amish store and many old hardware stores will have them.
 
Upvote 0
The style of your oil lamp appears to be Art Nouveau, which would date it to circa 1890-1905. Very nice find, Breezie
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom