Old Permission - Field 4 - Day 2 - Historic Roman Silver...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time is not on our side as the Spring crop is starting to show.
Colder but no rain today, so we got our short grid in.
Cru'dad 2 hrs 20mins, me 2hrs 30mins.

1790s Royal Artillery Button
9 Scrappies (forgot to picture 1)
7th C Saxon Mount (Fragment)
Nice small Medieval Leather Mount (Beast Head)
1/2 Lead Token, pretty sure it matches the Cockerel one that Cru'dad found in this field.
I got a Fouree (Silver plated) Roman Denarius - "Tribute Penny" type. Just google for more info on this Bible reference coin.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG

Upvote 23
Amazing history with that denarius. What would it's value be? To think that Jesus could have touched it is mind blowing.
The Tiberius PONTIF MAXIM type denarius, struck from c. 15 to 37 A.D. at the Lugdunum mint (Lyon, France today), is described as follows:

Obverse legend: TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVGVSTVS: Tiberius Caesar, divi Augustus Filius, Augustus - Tiberius Caesars, son of the Divine Augustus, Emperor.
Obverse type: laureate head of Tiberius right.

Reverse legend: PONTIF MAXIM: Pontifex Maximus - The High Priest (Chief Pontiff).
Reverse type: Female enthroned right, long scepter (or inverted spear) vertical behind in right, branch in right.

Amazing history with that denarius. What would it's value be? To think that Jesus could have touched it is mind blowing.
Honestly, not a lot in this condition, although for a plated silver its pretty nice.

The hands it could have touched is unknown but really makes you think. Apostles etc.
To be fair, 1st and 2nd century coins circulating in Britain are more likely to have been handled by Christians than any on the continent.
A few years ago I went down a rabbit hole woth regards to the spread of Christianity and having learned about how the family of Caratacus taken as hostages by the Romans in the wake of the capture of this British Pendragon. In Rome, this being around 50-60AD they became converts and brought the religion upon returning to Britain. From that time Britain became a refuge for Christians persecuted inbthe continent and it was in Britain that the religion not only survived but thrived.
See King Lucius, a real person and the first King anywhere to make Christianity the official religion of his nation.
It's actually quite a revelation and the more you learn the more it becomes apparent that this is suppressed history. The more you go down that rabbit hole and the more it becomes apparent as to why and who wanted it suppressed.

Time is not on our side as the Spring crop is starting to show.
Colder but no rain today, so we got our short grid in.
Cru'dad 2 hrs 20mins, me 2hrs 30mins.

1790s Royal Artillery Button
9 Scrappies (forgot to picture 1)
7th C Saxon Mount (Fragment)
Nice small Medieval Leather Mount (Beast Head)
1/2 Lead Token, pretty sure it matches the Cockerel one that Cru'dad found in this field.
I got a Fouree (Silver plated) Roman Denarius - "Tribute Penny" type. Just google for more info on this Bible reference coin.

View attachment 2144566View attachment 2144567View attachment 2144568View attachment 2144569View attachment 2144570View attachment 2144571View attachment 2144572
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back