What's new

Old Pocket Knife Date???

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, today I went back to the same area where I found the 1850 Large Cent, and found this 'old as dirt' pocketknife. It's a large heavy knife, and originally had 2 blades,(one is missing) both connected on the same end. Any ideas on the date of this knife? How should I clean it? Thanks in advance, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • BoneKnifeNov2009.webp
    BoneKnifeNov2009.webp
    32.2 KB · Views: 329
Re: Pocket Knife with an IRON blade & BONE Handle. Date???

Breazzie, that's a stag horn handle, not bone. It looks like it was a pretty decent knife in its day, but it is not particularly old.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Pocket Knife with an IRON blade & BONE Handle. Date???

Never heard of a knife having an iron blade, however, mor'n likely it's a steel blade...

Another subject...'Old as dirt' knife is totally inappropriate and insensitive...i use to have a similar knife as a kid and I am totally offended :laughing7:

try soaking it with WD-40 for a while...electralysis would destroy the knife...may be beyond total salvage...place your find in a shadow box for display...
 
Upvote 0
Re: Pocket Knife with an IRON blade & BONE Handle. Date???

Another subject...'Old as dirt' knife is totally inappropriate and insensitive...i use to have a similar knife as a kid and I am totally offended :laughing7:
I bet I'm older! ;D
 
Upvote 0
stefen said:
Older than me or older than dirt...careful how you answer this trick question

Mmm, weeeeeellll, I guess I'll have to take the 5th on this one. Johnny Walker seems like a nice 5th or either I could quote Mae West, who said, 'A woman who will tell her age, will tell anything!' Okay, how about this . . .I think my car is older than yours. http://www.picturetrail.com/1954chevy
 
Upvote 0
Most Knife makers did not have a date system the tang stamp would be the only help for a positive guess and that will never happen in this case . However it is a two blade Trapper and was once someones prize possesion :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
TheBreeze426 said:
stefen said:
Older than me or older than dirt...careful how you answer this trick question

Mmm, weeeeeellll, I guess I'll have to take the 5th on this one. Johnny Walker seems like a nice 5th or either I could quote Mae West, who said, 'A woman who will tell her age, will tell anything!' Okay, how about this . . .I think my car is older than yours. http://www.picturetrail.com/1954chevy

If your car is older than mine and you're quoting Mae West...hmmmmmmmmmm

Let me smell your breath :wink:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom