✅ SOLVED Old shotgun slug - Civil War era?

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this slug in Virginia near a major CW battlefield. At first I thought it was pulled. After cleaning it looks made that way. It has a very nice white patina like the CW bullets dug around Virginia so it has been in the ground a long time.

I can't match it to the CW. Now I'm thinking early 20th C shotgun slug. 20 gauge?

Can someone confirm or deny?

slug1.jpg slug2.jpg slug3.jpg

Thx

DCMatt

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I'm a modern day rifleman, that doesn't look like a shotgun slug. Shotgun slugs do not have a hollow as deep as that, and they donthave a hollow point hole that looks like that, and a 12 gague bore is for the mst part .500 (1/2"), 20 gague is smaller than a 20 gahue. It could be a cleaner ball (bullet) .

Upvote 0

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I'm a modern day rifleman, that doesn't look like a shotgun slug. Shotgun slugs do not have a hollow as deep as that, and they don't have a hollow point hole that looks like that, and a 12 gague bore is for the most part .500 (1/2"), 20 gague is smaller than a 12 gague. It could be a cleaner ball (bullet) .

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a modern day rifleman, that doesn't look like a shotgun slug. Shotgun slugs do not have a hollow as deep as that, and they don't have a hollow point hole that looks like that, and a 12 gague bore is for the most part .500 (1/2"), 20 gague is smaller than a 12 gague. It could be a cleaner ball (bullet) .

12 guage is most certainly not .500" it is .729", and I used to shoot .69 round balls from my 14 guage muzzle loading shotgun and they fit perfectly.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed on the 12 bore being 0.729" (12 round lead balls to the pound). 20 bore (20 to the pound) is 0.615"

I know slugs existed prior to the rifled (modern) variety but I can't come up with a time-line. You can still buy molds for smooth slugs.

slugswads23.jpg

I defer to the CW projectile guys. WAYYYY more intricate than my reference and memory includes.

Upvote 0

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I should have written that without a Federal permit only .500 Caliber projectiles are legal for centerfier rifles. I though that applied to centerfire shotgun slugs and sabots too.

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to look at the Pumpkin ball and what do you know? Right beside it was listed a Foster slug.

Looks just like the one in the first post. Well, a little cleaner.

Foster Slug 12ga .678 375gr (25/pk)-Ballistic Products

I looked up Greener and Norton pre mini ball projectiles.
Pumpkin/round balls and the evolution to Foster's. Some turned rounds too from the civil war, smooth ,no rings.
You go and turn up what appears a near match with an fancy style foster! Despite it's recent "improved" state I'd bet it has a history.
Good job.:thumbsup:.
Keep yer stuffin dry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's an old shotgun slug, probably a paper cartridge, the manufacture added the "grooves" into the slug to impart spin on the slug for smooth bore shotgun barrels - this was done, obviously, before rifled shotgun barrels were invented. The groves on your slug were not made from the gun barrel.

foster.png

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread