✅ SOLVED old spoon with stallion or horse head makers mark

bucko

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2010
cape cod ma.
Detector(s) used
garrett sea hunter 2
Old Spoon with Stallion or Horse Head Hallmark???

:dontknow::dontknow:I found this spoon on the beach in a area that I have been searching for a shipwreck that sunk in the early 1700's,ive checked books and the internet for the makers mark which appears to be a stallion or horse head the spoon has the handle broken or corroded off if the spoon measures about 1-7/8"of a inch across and about 1-5/8" wide it appears to be pewter! if some could help me identify the makers mark and the time period that would be a big help !!!! thanks treasure hunters!!

Attachments

• 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    523.4 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hallmark of some kind. Your find should also be posted in the shipwrecks forum allot of talent and expertise in items found on beaches and sea bottoms. I think you found something of interest and something old. I can't get a clear focus on your hallmark, but I'll go with horse head and see what's out there.

Upvote 0

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could be a griffins head? looks kind of similar to horse,except for beak.Looking under British pewter.Barber,Nathaniel (fl. c.1777-1788 London one of his marks was a Griffins head and the book i am looking at even has a question mark next to the word griffin head.Whatever it is ,neat "ooold "spoon nice find.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does look pewter. I was looking for marks but most reference on line are for silver marks. I wonder if the shape of the spoon could be a clue to how old it is?

Upvote 0

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
Found this on a bullet forum...
"Stede ware was manufactured by my husband's family. It's lovely stuff, but neither pewter NOR aluminum - it's an alloy."

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread