What's new

Old vs. New Banks

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2008
Messages
1,143
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was speaking with my father the other day and the subject of silver half dollars was brought up. He suggested that I try banks that have been around for a few decades in some towns close to where I live. He suggested banks with names such as Dime Bank or Miner's Bank just to name a few.

My question is does anyone try these "old banks" when they regularly crh and if so, do they yield better silver because it has been sitting in the vault for a number of years, compared to a relatively new BoA type branch? :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
in the beginning, people usually banked at the same place year after year. It's nice to be able to come in and see the same people dealing with your money all the time, so I'd say, go for it. That is if there are still some of the old banks around.
 
They are harder and harder to find. But the ones I have encountered have produced well. This economic stench we are in has hurt the little banker as well. There was one bank in a small town that always produced some old coin and the first time I went there had eight rolls of mixed silver walker, kens and bens. It was a great find. Last time I drove by there the bank was boarded up...it had only been 6 months since my last visit. If you can find one stop in.

Golden Silver
 
Older Banks should = older clientell, Which should = grandma cashing in an old hoard every now and than.


Mojo
 
I hit these older banks circa 1860s ish and they never have produced any better than a new bank. No old stash hiding in the vault here , Ed
 
It would make sense that older banks might have older coin sitting in the vault from a long time ago. It's worth a shot.
 
old banks, new banks,credit unions etc....i hit them all..... all of the old banks around here were bought by the new banks......example....Citizens in a building which used to be PSFS or Univest which used to be Bank of Schwenksville.....i could go on and on....however my best finds have been in the older banks......no matter who owns them now ;D
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom