Oldest coin to date!!! 1800 Maybe US coin, not sure

firefighter35

Aug 19, 2009
Lebanon, pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x Minelab Explorer II Modified Bounty Hunter Garrett Ace 250(10x14 excelerator coil)
Hey, i have been detecting but not finding much other than clad a some silver(nothin old). Today i decided to go to a field behind my parents house since it was a beautiful day. I got 2 clad pennies and that Security Badge. It looks like it was hit by the plow. How it would have ended up there is beyond me. So i showed my neighbor the badge and he said he has 4 houses in historic schaefferstown. I was cool, he said i was more than welcome to detect them any time i want and to keep any finds i get!!! Thinkin to myself that this was probally gonna be an all clad day. Well, i only got to the one house, searched the front and was pulling clad and the dam old roof nail things. So i changed some settings on the Explorer II and went to the back. More clad, then i got a really good 00-29, 00-30. Thinkin it was silver i cut the plug, probed the hole, dug alittle more dirt and about 5 inches deep turned up this 1800 coin. Not sure if its us or foriegn. I beleive i made out 1800, but its kinda hard to tell. Not sure if i wanna try to clean more dirt off or not. Thanks for lookin. Greg Horning

Attachments

• all together.jpg
    all together.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,251
  • badge.jpg
    badge.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 1,066
  • 1800.jpg
    1800.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,017
Upvote 0

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You got back to 1695-1701. IMO that is definitely a King William halfpenny.

OP
OP
firefighter35

firefighter35

Aug 19, 2009
Lebanon, pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x Minelab Explorer II Modified Bounty Hunter Garrett Ace 250(10x14 excelerator coil)
im shocked!!! i would have never ever thought of finding a coin this old. I am getting ready to head back to these houses today and find more!!! :laughing7:

GulfCoastRelix

Mar 2, 2010
Pensacola
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250 / Garrett Ace Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the mystery coin. If its indeed that old maybe you'll find more! BTW, I have a question on an item in your pic. I find these things all over where houses once stood and I am sure your right on the nose as far as being associated with roofing and all but wanted some clarification. Specifically if it will help me a date a site when I find them. Like how long were these used. Here is a blown up pic of what you took. Thanks for any input I can surely post on ID section if you are not sure.

Mike

Attachments

• all together.jpg
    all together.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 302
OP
OP
firefighter35

firefighter35

Aug 19, 2009
Lebanon, pa
Detector(s) used
thats funny that you mention that gulfcoast. Me and my other detector friend were just talkin about those dam things. Not sure if there from a roof or not. He said he thought that they may have been candle wic holders in old candles. Every single one i have found was always bent and bent at the same place. Sorry i cant help out more. Greg

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GulfCoastRelix said:
Congrats on the mystery coin. If its indeed that old maybe you'll find more! BTW, I have a question on an item in your pic. I find these things all over where houses once stood and I am sure your right on the nose as far as being associated with roofing and all but wanted some clarification. Specifically if it will help me a date a site when I find them. Like how long were these used. Here is a blown up pic of what you took. Thanks for any input I can surely post on ID section if you are not sure.

Mike

I was always told Roofing nails

(umbrella nails)

But agree With FF
they are all bent the same.

They do resemble Wick holders
now that you mention it

Candle_Wicks.jpg

OP
OP
firefighter35

firefighter35

Aug 19, 2009
Lebanon, pa
Detector(s) used
thanks jeff, nails mayb, but ed was pretty sure that they are old candle wic holders. oh, btw, me and ed went back to this house today. He he he, pics and another post are comin tomorrow. But found a coin from 1865. ;D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
firefighter35 said:
thanks jeff, nails mayb, but ed was pretty sure that they are old candle wic holders. oh, btw, me and ed went back to this house today. He he he, pics and another post are comin tomorrow. But found a coin from 1865. ;D

Cool on the '65

Are these Nails/wic holders Hollow ?

all I remember is the stem appears Aluminum

OP
OP
firefighter35

firefighter35

Aug 19, 2009
Lebanon, pa
Detector(s) used
No, They are solid stems. They dont even really have a sharp end which makes me think there not nails. Ed kinda thought that the wic was tied around the bend on it so im not sure.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
firefighter35 said:
. Ed kinda thought that the wic was tied around the bend on it so im not sure.

now that's a thought.

Was just thinking too
I Never found a whole one if nails
& without a point Aluminum would
Bend flat when hit with a hammer.

Only other possibility would be Rivits
(stick 'em in a pre drilled hole & bend
them over)

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the William III ,100 + years older than what you thought :o ID 'ed by one of the best . The copper octagon things are asbestos roof shingle fasteners . The diamond shaped shingle had a hole in the top and bottom . The prong was fed through the top coarse to fasten the bottom next coarse . They were diagonally layered ,they were then bent after inserted . One fastener, for every two shingles . Civil war through the 1900's these shingles were used near railroads that had steam powered engines . The cinders from the locomotive would ignite the cedar shake roofs of homes near the tracks, so the roofers , used portland /asbestos . Not to healthy once the portland cement wears off and the fibers are airborne. These copper fasteners,and shingles last forever . CMD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions