36 Crazyfists

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2012
Mi
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone, had question and can not seem to find an answer. Has anyone had trouble with taking there Sun Ray probe on a plane trip? It is mounted to the shaft so I know it has to go in to my checked luggage, but wouldn't that look like a stick of dynamite through the x-ray machine? lol.

And getting mixed answers on the electronics in the carry on or checked bag.

Thank you.

Upvote 0
Every time I've checked my detector in a suitcase, they've opened the case and looked at it anyway....even without a SunRay probe. I'm sure they've seen enough of them by now not to panic over it.

If you still have the manual on the unit and the probe wouldn't hurt to bring that along for help in explaining to a non MDer what he's looking at. If you don't still have the manual you may be able to find it on the net.

I do have both and will bring them along. Just not sure if I'm going to put my control box and coils in my carry-on or keep it all together in my checked luggage.

Just pack it in your checked luggage with plenty of clothes around it for bump protection.

I work for TSA and we will either run the bag thru a scanner or open and look. Either way you shouldn't run into any problems. Please pack your gear for the trip securely as baggage handlers (not us) will sling your bag on occasions. Good luck and happy hunting.

UPDATE. Thanks for your responses, I'm back from my trip and all went well. Ended up putting everything in my checked luggage with help of some 4" foam and my clothing. On the top everything I had my manual and paperwork for easy access.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back