chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From time to time I find coins on top of the ground as I am sure you all have too... even more rare is finding an older coin on top of the ground... well I did just that tonight... I got a quarter signal ad 0 inches!!! at first I thought it was a can but the signal was so clean so I looked down and I said... naa that can't be on top of the ground... nooooo that can't be a quarter... well I was wrong... just bend over and pick it up!

Every time I find a keeper like this I wonder how long its been sitting there like that!

Tell us of your "on top of the ground" finds too! I am very interested in knowing your story too!

Chukers

Attachments

• top 1.JPG
    top 1.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 3,222
  • top 2.JPG
    top 2.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 3,224
  • top 3.JPG
    top 3.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 3,203
  • top 4.JPG
    top 4.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 3,198
Upvote 0
What great timing for this topic, many of my finds are right on top as I look everyday, every place I am for coinage and jewelery. I have cans of coins and jewelery at both of my jobs that were all surface finds throughout the course of the work day. This photo I have posted shows one days finds at a HS parking lot while walking my dog, the rest were detected earlier in the day. Just like detecting a dirt parking lot I will walk the area that the drivers door is theoretically at and look for coins dropped while retrieving keys. I have been doing this for 30+ years and my finds at the end of the year are in the pounds, this way I am collecting even when I cannot detect. The second photo shows my pennies for this year alone...

Attachments

• dirt fishing on 10-24-11.jpg
    dirt fishing on 10-24-11.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,850
  • surface found pennies for 2011.jpg
    surface found pennies for 2011.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,887
Found a 58 cal 2-ringer Gardner on top of the ground, under a large Ceder tree; IH under another tree.

Treasure come in many forms and fashions... I have found tools laying in and on the side of the street (wrenches, screwdriver, pliers) which I still use to this day!

Also here another thing to look for which I have found and cashed... do not hesitate to pick up a lottery ticket... (most are used but a few were not) I have picked up several and a few I cashed in for money! nothing of great value I thin $5 was the biggest one I found...

Keep you eyes open and your head down... you'll never know what you'll find!

Chukers

P.S. Keep the stories coming I like hearing what you guys have found too!

I found a 3 ringer minie ball on top of the ground a couple years back. Have also found 2 silver quarters (2 separate times) in the change slot of parking machines recently.

A few years ago I found a 1899 V nickel laying on top of a plowed field. About a week after that I found a 1867 shield nickel on top in a washed out area down from an old school. Lot of goodies just laying on top of the ground waiting for us to pick them up.

A couple finds from years past I can remember....
First was from a sledding hill at one of my favorite parks. I was hunting one winter after the snow melted off. Most of what I found was clad lying on top of the ground. I saw a dime in the grass about 15 feet ahead of me. When I got to it and picked it up, I was shocked to see a beautiful 1903 Barber Dime. I was puzzled why anyone would have been carrying that in their pocket, but I saw a rut cut through the turf into the mud about 10 yards uphill by all the sleds... this dime must have been popped out of the ground by a sledder and deposited downhill.

Second one was during a woods hunt at an old campground. I was digging silver coins and other finds when I saw an old pepsi can lying in the leaves under a tangle of honeysuckle vines. For what ever reason I reached in and kicked it as I walked past and saw on top of the dirt under where the can had lain a nice shiny Silver Washington Quarter.

HH, Mike.

Mike Moutray said:
A couple finds from years past I can remember....
First was from a sledding hill at one of my favorite parks. I was hunting one winter after the snow melted off. Most of what I found was clad lying on top of the ground. I saw a dime in the grass about 15 feet ahead of me. When I got to it and picked it up, I was shocked to see a beautiful 1903 Barber Dime. I was puzzled why anyone would have been carrying that in their pocket, but I saw a rut cut through the turf into the mud about 10 yards uphill by all the sleds... this dime must have been popped out of the ground by a sledder and deposited downhill.

Second one was during a woods hunt at an old campground. I was digging silver coins and other finds when I saw an old pepsi can lying in the leaves under a tangle of honeysuckle vines. For what ever reason I reached in and kicked it as I walked past and saw on top of the dirt under where the can had lain a nice shiny Silver Washington Quarter.

HH, Mike.

oh I like the barber dime one... that is a cool story...

last thursday it was raining so i went down by the garage to detect and got a swallow signal and thinkig it was a pull tap that fell out of the truck one day , i went to probe the area as i pulled grass back and seen this beauty 1857 flying eagle

Attachments

• Photo544.jpg
    Photo544.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,264
  • Photo544.jpg
    Photo544.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,264
Great thread Chukers ! I haven't found too many "groundies" lately , but I have found a Barber
dime on top- in a park where trenches for new irrigation had been dug, I found a 14K earring
on the ground (saw it a week before and ignored it- thinking it was costume jewelry ) upon a
closer look , it turned out to be the real deal. I also found a sterling silver ring - with a garnet ,
that had been run over in a gravel parking lot (i was able to straighten it out on my ring mandrel )
Just a side note here - keep an eye out in the winter months , for where the snow plows deposit
all that snow in parking lots (ski areas !!!) because thats where all kinds of drops get pushed .
Go hit them in the spring - Also in the immediate area of car washes , there are vacuum stations ,
the bags of debris from the vacuums are often dumped into an enclosure on the property - you
may indeed be able to go over these dump areas with your detector - I have found tons of coin
in these ! there should be rings too . Argentium.

I was out hunting with Lakemonster today and in an area we had both gone over twice, I looked down and saw a Mercury staring at me. I couldn't believe it. I picked it up and something fell off of the back.....that something turned out to be a silver Rosie. So, a 1928 Merc and a 1948 Rosie stuck together on top of sugar sand.

This summer while metal detecting a beach, I spotted a pair of black & silver sunglasses on top of the sand. Turned out to be a Calvin Klein style that retails for $110, and must've been dropped the same day or another beachgoer would've already picked them up. My husband spotted a glasses case in the street a few weeks later and plucked it up before a car ran over it. Inside the case were very stylish Ventoux sunglasses worth $70. He reported his find to the office of the nearby public tennis courts but as they weren't claimed, we each have a new pair of quality sunglasses. Ironically, I like my $20 drugstore pair better than the bulky Calvin Kleins, so will probably give them away.

This habit of looking down only began when I started metal detecting, as all my life before then I've been looking up instead at trees, clouds and birds --- quite a shift in walking style!
HH to all! Andi

Argentium said:
Great thread Chukers ! I haven't found too many "groundies" lately , but I have found a Barber
dime on top- in a park where trenches for new irrigation had been dug, I found a 14K earring
on the ground (saw it a week before and ignored it- thinking it was costume jewelry ) upon a
closer look , it turned out to be the real deal. I also found a sterling silver ring - with a garnet ,
that had been run over in a gravel parking lot (i was able to straighten it out on my ring mandrel )
Just a side note here - keep an eye out in the winter months , for where the snow plows deposit
all that snow in parking lots (ski areas !!!) because thats where all kinds of drops get pushed .
Go hit them in the spring - Also in the immediate area of car washes , there are vacuum stations ,
the bags of debris from the vacuums are often dumped into an enclosure on the property - you
may indeed be able to go over these dump areas with your detector - I have found tons of coin
in these ! there should be rings too . Argentium.

Thanks... I am looking everywhere now... I found a ring silver ring too just walking down the road... I can't believe it was there... it was smashed too.

Attachments

• smring.JPG
    smring.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 1,237
g-olden years said:
This summer while metal detecting a beach, I spotted a pair of black & silver sunglasses on top of the sand. Turned out to be a Calvin Klein style that retails for $110, and must've been dropped the same day or another beachgoer would've already picked them up. My husband spotted a glasses case in the street a few weeks later and plucked it up before a car ran over it. Inside the case were very stylish Ventoux sunglasses worth $70. He reported his find to the office of the nearby public tennis courts but as they weren't claimed, we each have a new pair of quality sunglasses. Ironically, I like my $20 drugstore pair better than the bulky Calvin Kleins, so will probably give them away.

This habit of looking down only began when I started metal detecting, as all my life before then I've been looking up instead at trees, clouds and birds --- quite a shift in walking style!
HH to all! Andi

I found some Ray-Bans in the surf one time along with a $5 bill... I cleaned up the glasses and sold them on feeBay for $35!

Keep looking!

Chukers

While out with Roland58 yesterday....

I found 2 $20 bills and 2 $5 dollar bills blown up into the weeds. We got one strange huntin spot.

Lakemonster said:

I found 2 $20 bills and 2 $5 dollar bills blown up into the weeds. We got one strange huntin spot.

Saaaweeeet!

Nice to find silver on top! Congrats!

A couple years ago I was detecting an 1848 house. I found an 1864 2 cent piece in really nice shape just laying on the ground. I think it had been turned over by someone digging to put in some bricks around a tree and the soil washed away from it leaving it there for me to eyeball. Found other coins there too in the ground. Seated dime and some indians.

chukers said:
Lakemonster said:

Saaaweeeet!

this is ot my ground find a buddy i was with doing a helio load out to tex found 350 bucks blowning around on the snow next to hwy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back