What's new

One of My Best Finds

Buff

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2020
Messages
22
Reaction score
53
Golden Thread
0
Location
Olive Branch
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will just say it was fired during the Mississippi Campaign (November 1862) close to the Tallahatchie river. I was very fortunate to have dug it. Slammed area. Too old to go back now. I am not knowledgeable on relics but did research this find.

10-PDR. PARROTT FLAT-TOP BOLT​


Pete.
 

Attachments

  • Parrot Shell.webp
    Parrot Shell.webp
    368.9 KB · Views: 177
Upvote 13
I will just say it was fired during the Mississippi Campaign (November 1862) close to the Tallahatchie river. I was very fortunate to have dug it. Slammed area. Too old to go back now. I am not knowledgeable on relics but did research this find.

10-PDR. PARROTT FLAT-TOP BOLT​


Pete.
A rare one for sure, congrats!
 
Thanks for commenting. I might pull to relic tote and see what is in there.
 
Good find Buff! A friend & I detected on the south side of the Tallahatchie River bridge around the dug rifle pits. He went back deep in the woods to the west and found an old horseshoe that seemed to be from the war. That area has been picked over throughout the years, but there's still artifacts there! A lot of CW action around the town of Abbeville as you probably know this. We poked around the railroad tracks & just came up with some old bottles. Great area though!
 
Ole Miss Rebel. It is a neat place. A few years back they did a lot of excavating at the boat ramp. I wish I had known. There is no tell how many relics the hauled away before they back filled the bottom.
 
I will just say it was fired during the Mississippi Campaign (November 1862) close to the Tallahatchie river. I was very fortunate to have dug it. Slammed area. Too old to go back now. I am not knowledgeable on relics but did research this find.

10-PDR. PARROTT FLAT-TOP BOLT​


Pete.
I dug one like that down near Vicksburg 20 years of ==r so. Congrats
 
Here is one i found about 2002 I was hunting with a friend that lived down there. I had met him when i was monitoring the
Shell2Top.webp
chat room for Lost Treasure Magazine. This one had a rope fuse in it . I had to disarm it. When i did i wore EAR MUFFS. I did not wear ear muffs but i did disarm it. I used a small hand turned drill bit and ran water on the top and i drilled down through the rope fuse. Then i put a small plastic hose down inside it and ran water through it till it came clean. Then i removed the rest of the rope fuse.
 

Attachments

  • Shell1.webp
    Shell1.webp
    1,018.8 KB · Views: 25
I had found many shell fragments while there. When i got home. For many years I gave a lot of shell pieces away.
 
Great story! Thanks for the pics!
 
Since this topic was revived here's video of this type of shell being fired in a "live round" demo, so for ya'll viewing pleasure!

 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom