One of my best hunts, sofar

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hello all,,,
I headed back out to the bottle dump I found awhile back and had a blast. I took my detector and was going to hunt around the woods some, but I just couldn't stay away from all the old glass at this site. There has to be a few truck loads of old broken bottles and dinner ware. The first big bottle is just a screwtop Listerine bottle that reads, " LISTERINE / LAMBERT / PHARMACAL COMPANY ", but it's in good shape and still has the lid, so I grabbed it. The second small bottle is a full bottle of fingernail polish, (dried up) and the small bottle beside it is an old cork top. The small compact case with the red plastic center still has all the powder (dried up), and the mirror is still intact. It was pretty heavy, so I was hoping it had a few gold coins in it when I opened it. :( The next item is also a small compact lid. Also found a few white glass containers, one with an almost new looking lid, and a few of the old porcelain canning lid tops. The metal object on the far right is an old salt, or pepper shaker which I have a larger picture of farther down the post.
index.php

The pic below shows an old bowl with some gold leaf on it. There are several of these laying around, but this is the only piece I saw with any kind of markings. Anyone recognize the mark? Maybe give me a estimate on adate? Also pictured is the salt, or pepper shaker, too bad it's not silver... :), but it's still a nice piece for one of my display cases...
index.php

The next item pictured is one that freaked me out and was totally unexpected. I guess us city boys ought to stay out of the woods... :) I seen a small loop shining in the sun, I thought it was the handle to an old jug or something, but when I grabbed it, it was solft. I immediately let it go. Probably a good thing because it was attached to a little 14" long snake... Any snake guys / ladies out here to give me an ID on this one... I think it's just a garden snake from what I looked up on the web, but the only thing I know about snakes is to stay away from them.
index.php

After finding the snake I couldn't even brush up against a tree limb without getting a chill running up my spine, so I called it quits and got out of Dodge... :) Talk about having the " Hebe Jebe's " <spellcheck... I have to tell ya, although I put my detector on the ground to dig through the bottle dump, this has to be one of the best hunts I have been on. In every scoop of the knife blade was a piece of glass that I wish wasn't broken. It was like taking a trip through time. I was there for about 2 hours and didn't even think about smoking a cigarette.

Although I didn't find too many keepers on this hunt I am definitely going back to dig around. I think this site has some real potential for a nice bottle find. I dug down to a depth of about two feet and was still pulling glass out of the ground. I'm hinking there has to be some older stuff below the surface...

The forum is really rock'n and I haven't had the time to keep up. I have looked at several post and it looks like a lot of ya's have been finding some great stuff, so...
Congrats to all,

Ooops,,,, here's a closeup of the snake. If anyone could give me a positive ID on it, I would greatly appreciate it...
index.php

Good luck & Happy hunting~
Leon

Upvote 0

DiggingFl

Oct 4, 2006
North FL.
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer XS and X-Terra 50
Some nice goodies Leon WTG. Your friend dose favor a copper head but I don't think it is. Here a good way if your not sure to know if a snakes poisonous. All nonvenomous snakes except for the coral snake have round pupils. Poisonous snakes have slit pupils like a cat. The coral snake is the only exception I know of. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread