kilmer

Mar 30, 2005
Central Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3 , F75 LTD, CZ70 pro, Teknetics G2, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an old home site in a bean field that I have hit twice. I have found a lot of metal buttons. Usually, they are one piece, flat metal with no pattern. I have different sizes but I have never found a pattern. Today, I found a floral button and this weird one. This is actually the second one dug. The first was badly damaged. This one is hollow backed and still had the eyelet on it until I tried to straighten it. The Indians came from a neighboring field that I noticed being turned over by the farmer. If you have any thoughts on the button, I would appreciate hearing them. I have never found a coin in this field, but did find a token dated 1863.

HH, Don

Attachments

• IndianFB3214.jpg
    IndianFB3214.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 392
Upvote 0

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice haul of Indians. I would be right back at that field at first light.

No idea about the button other than its kind of creepy looking.

Congrats,

Brian in MA

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good looking finds!!!! MR TUFF

U

umrgolf

Brian in MA said:
Nice haul of Indians. I would be right back at that field at first light.

No idea about the button other than its kind of creepy looking.

Congrats,

Brian in MA

You aren't kidding :o :help:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it represents the popularity that 'the Mikado' production had in the late 19th C. Note the Bamboo & I think Japanese style head. A period when many types of oriental imagery was used on buttons.

Indiana Digger

Oct 13, 2010
E.C. Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II SL90
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kilmer,

Congrats on the small tribe of Indians!

That button is awesome. Jester/Harlequin/Mikado...whatever it is.

Mikado-inspired? Perhaps. Doesn't really fit into the late-19th Century Mikados, like pictured here: http://www.pdrice.com/QandA/Mikado Button Info.htm

...or here: http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/old-lg-brass-steels-w-yum-yum-umbrella-mikado

Although, it DOES look like an Oriental character w/bamboo. So, Mikado-inspired might be the right answer on this one.

Did you post on the What Is It page?

Great finds, tho!

HH,

~Indiana Digger~

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indiana Digger said:
Kilmer,

Congrats on the small tribe of Indians!

That button is awesome. Jester/Harlequin/Mikado...whatever it is.

Mikado-inspired? Perhaps. Doesn't really fit into the late-19th Century Mikados, like pictured here: http://www.pdrice.com/QandA/Mikado Button Info.htm

...or here: http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/old-lg-brass-steels-w-yum-yum-umbrella-mikado

Although, it DOES look like an Oriental character w/bamboo. So, Mikado-inspired might be the right answer on this one.

Did you post on the What Is It page?

Great finds, tho!

HH,

~Indiana Digger~

Good info, never seen that Mikado button site before, it backs the theory I created in my head. I knew it was a popular 'production' & I made the assumption that during this age of many varieties of button that they would draw have drawn inspiration from the leading cultural interest of that period. Like the 'Carter' effect & Egypt.
So I'm glad you showed me that link to confirm something I had never read & only guessed/analysed :icon_thumright:
Also Chinese blue & white tablewear like the 'willow pattern' was in fashion along with china cups for tea drinking, so this must have carried across into the button making medium.
Anyway, I have a few buttons in the oriental style which are quite different from the link you posted. So to be safe, I think (Although a picture of the back & any backmarks will clinch it?) its in the late 19th C bracket & the head does have that rolled back & neat hair on either side which reminds me of the Japanese haircuts of the time :-\ Plus hopefully its clearly Bamboo :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread