What's new

Online Fossil Guide

wreckvalle

Full Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2006
Messages
184
Reaction score
19
Golden Thread
0

Attachments

  • fossil mike mcmeekin (3).webp
    fossil mike mcmeekin (3).webp
    22.9 KB · Views: 415
Nice finds, for sure.

You have the captions reversed for the mastodont and mammoth tooth images.

The third image, the "unidentified bone," is a whale humerus.
 
Okay, more . . .

It's Carcharocles auriculatus (if it's actually an Eocene tooth).

It's Isurus oxyrhinchus (if that's what the tooth is). Notice the genus is capitalized while the species name is in lower case letters.

Under the description of the coprolite, "...shark do to spiral...." Unless you're talking about "shark do" (as in dog do), the word is "due."

It's a Pleistocene Equus sp. (not "Equa" or camel) upper cheek tooth.
 
Harry Pristis said:
Okay, more . . .

It's Carcharocles auriculatus (if it's actually an Eocene tooth).

It's Isurus oxyrhinchus (if that's what the tooth is). Notice the genus is capitalized while the species name is in lower case letters.

Under the description of the coprolite, "...shark do to spiral...." Unless you're talking about "shark do" (as in dog do), the word is "due."

It's a Pleistocene Equus sp. (not "Equa" or camel) upper cheek tooth.

Harry,

Thanks for the info. Im out of town for a few days but will make the updates as soon as I get back to my own computer. Can I credit you for the description? If yes I just need your last name.

Sincerely,
Capt. Dan
www.aquaexplorers.com
 
wreckvalle said:
Harry,

Thanks for the info. Im out of town for a few days but will make the updates as soon as I get back to my own computer. Can I credit you for the description? If yes I just need your last name.

Sincerely,
Capt. Dan
www.aquaexplorers.com
You're welcome, Cap'n Dan.

I don't need a credit on your web-site. I'm happy to help out anonymously when I can.

Are you aware that the sperm whale tooth is presented root first in your image. The bulbus end is the place where the enamel cone was exposed in the jaw. Usually, the enamel end of the tooth is the most interesting; but, sometimes this little enamel cone is worn down to the root. Here is one with the cone in place.


spermwhaletooth.webp​
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom