Oolder Datasonics sub-bottom profilier on Fleabay complete w/sled, 4 transducers...

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DATASONICS SUB-BOTTOM PROFILER TRANSDUCER HYDROGRAPHIC OCEANOGRAPHIC SURVEY | eBay

Okay, so this looks interesting and it seems like a bargain price, but I can't find much information about the item...

Anyone heard of an SBT-220? Used an SBT-220? Ever heard of Datasonics?

Wondering especially about the output and potential image resolution...

FYI: I know SQUAT about sub-bottom profiliers...

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
"Image resolution"? I didn't see any image.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the day, these were pretty good systems, going for about $50K, but that was in 1990, when a XT turbo cost you $2500 and a 286 computer would cast you $20 grand.
The graphic recorder/ plotter is missing, so I am not really sure what sort of printer one could use. This used the thermal plotters, the old fax machine type of thermal paper, but I have no idea of the format of the plotting to which you could add an interface or get the data plots. I suppose one could write a program to interface the data, but the unit only uses a single freq, at 3500, so it is a bit limited as to the strata/depth you can see through.

Someone paid $1250 for it, I wish them luck.

I have seen the Stratabox SBP for around $3000 new, and $1000 used. Not a bad unit, and one of the least expensive out there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sold. Boy that didn't last long.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread