Opinions needed..Equinox 800 or Garrett AT Max?

NEPA History

Apr 12, 2018
Wyoming Valley, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking for detectorists who may be familiar with both the Equinox 800 and the AT Max machines. I am looking to upgrade from my Garrett Ace 400, the only machine I have ever used. My hunting partner runs an Etrac and consistently digs more targets, including targets I have missed with my Ace. I think the Ace is a great machine, I have found many great coins and relics with it, but I feel it is time for me to move up to the next level. I have narrowed down my search to two machines within my budget, the Equinox or the Max. My goal is to find more coins of course, and I have several permissions I can return to since "hunting them out" with my Ace. I also want to hunt some water sites that I have been unable to hunt with my Ace due to it not being waterproof. I appreciate any advice or experiences with either machine anyone can provide. Thanks all, and good luck!

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Equinox absolutely blows the AT Max away!!

Search youtube for calbash digger!

Matt

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned both.

The equinox is better.

My friend who uses his max finds better stuff than me.

I wonder what would happen if he had a nox...

ColonelDan

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The two stand out differences for me: Single frequency Max vs multi frequency NOX; slower processor Max vs faster processor NOX. The choice is easy for me....but the view from your foxhole may differ.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace 400 to AT max isnt much of a upgrade, Ace 400 to NOX 800 is a big upgrade... cant go wrong with the Nox..

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Nox is way better, but AT max will still work after 5 yeares, unless you brake it, while Nox will have to had battery replaced. For a regular coin shooting, both detectors are just great.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll tell you when it comes to detectors the grass is always greener somewhere. My ATMax has been great to me. I have not used the Nox 800 but I know from holding that it is lighter weight which can definitely help on those long days of swinging. No real complaints about the Max. I think a lot of it is getting over the good targets. I will say my detector seems pretty durable. I've had it about 2 years and it stays in the trunk of my car during the cold days and the hot days (triple digits and negative digit temps) and I have not ever had a problem with it.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why do you say the battery will need to be replaced? Your NOX runs on a 1C Lipo battery. they don't suffer memory losses like Nicad batteries do.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do you say the battery will need to be replaced? Your NOX runs on a 1C Lipo battery. they don't suffer memory losses like Nicad batteries do.

I just figured he was from the future...machine has only bin out 2 or 3 years lol

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just figured he was from the future...machine has only bin out 2 or 3 years lol

Maybe i am. Or perhaps my job just requires to know batteries... But don't worry, you'll come to there sonner or later. Or maybe you should learn from you computers and tablets. LiPo batteries have been around for quite some time.

I might be old school, but in my oppinion, integrateing batteries of any type with apliances in non replacable manner does not work for the customer. Again, you will not see that in professional and military line. The current technology is just not there yet.
However, it's OK to power a plastic toy from a permanent source, even if it's not so permanent, after all it's only a toy.

But than again, i will not try to convince the convinced.

Last edited:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe i am. Or perhaps my job just requires to know batteries... But don't worry, you'll come to there sonner or later. Or maybe you should learn from you computers and tablets. LiPo batteries have been around for quite some time, there are some newer types not yet in production, but only time will tell about their true performance.

I might be old school, but in my oppinion, integrateing batteries of any type with apliances in non replacable manner does not work for the customer. The current technology is just not there yet.

But than again, i will not try to convince the convinced.

I work with batteries on a daily basis,

"lipo" batteries are not used in this environment how ever "lion" batteries are...

But your 5 year remark seems invalid and the battery is a easy job to change out, you make it sound like its a problem, but after 5 years of buying AA batteries your way better off with a Lion battery

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NEPA History

Apr 12, 2018
Wyoming Valley, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is some great info everyone, thanks for weighing in. I have heard good things about both machines, and my goal is to be swinging a new one when the season starts next season after the winter. I am leaning towards the Nox, but I want to do some more research before I buy. It really helps to get opinions from some of you who have used 1 or both of these machines, so please keep the debate going!

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry. for the wrong info; The Equinox uses a Lion battery. I was confused because the Makro Kruzer uses a 1C Lipo battery, which is what I swing. I'm not concerned if my internal battery fails since I also have the external, waterproof AA battery pack. I read on here some time ago that you can easily replace the battery in the NOX since it doesn't compromise the waterproofyness of the control box. I'd still wait till after the warranty expires to do any of that. These batteries are not put through the kinds of stress a tablet or phone battery goes through so I wouldn't worry about the battery dying anytime soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread