What's new

Opinions Please!

sjarchangel

Full Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2008
Messages
148
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Location
Delaware
Detector(s) used
V3i, ETrac, Excal II, Shadow X2, Tesoro Silver Max, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm having a heck of a time deciding between the Anderson Excalibur Long Shaft - 0811 (behind the elbow?) and the Lightning Rod for Excalibur for the Excal 1000. I will be mainly beach and sand hunting and some VERY shallow water hunting. Trying to keep from getting fatigued to much from swinging. Any input will be appreciated!

Thanks!

SJA :-)
 
Upvote 0
Have you given any thought to making one yourself? The Anderson is $120, I have 2 that are home made and both are less then $30 each....

If you get a 4 foot 7/8 inch aluminum tube, the fiber shaft for the coil will slide right inside it perfectly, drill hole positions for where you want the fiber shaft to lock at, fiber shaft already has the a-clips inside it, measure and drill holes for the controls at your arm. You can use a-clips or stainless steel thumb screws, washers, and nuts to lock it on the shaft. You can cut the shaft down on the control end where you feel most comfortable with it. The handle can be found in bike shop, (handle bar extension).
 
Interesting concept TH!

:-)
 
Tubes can be found at West Marine, look for aluminum handles for deck brooms ect....
 
The inside tube from extension handles work well too, can usually find those dirt cheap at yard sales or flea markets. Here's the one I made for a Sovereign.

58.webp
 
TH is right! making one yourself is the only way to go. i got my 7/8" tubing at ace hardware,some not all aces carry tubing
 
Before you buy an Anderson, check out Plugger: http://www.rodsbyplugger.com/

In my opinion superior quality (such as closed cell foam handle vs open) and about 2/3s the price. I know Anderson is also an excellent product. Plugger rods made to my specifications for my CZ-21 and it is perfect! Bill makes them for Excals, but I convinced him to make a custom one for my Fisher. Bill, the gentleman who fabricates the custom rods, is super courteous, makes sure you are totally happy with the product, right down to the last detail of what you want. I purchased it on a Thursday, and he built it and he shipped it the next day. If UPS had delivered on Sunday, I would have had it then - I got it Monday. Many adjustments on the rod, and a delight to use. Good luck!
 
May I chime in on this!

I have an Anderson straight shaft. Love it. Thats not the point.

Here is what I did. Remove the control and battery pack and attach them to a nylon belt (Harbor Freight $6.00). Which I wear around my waist. I know estimate my shaft and coil combined weigh less than 2 pounds. I can swing that all day and all night long!

Whole job took about 5 minutes
 
I use the straight shaft just for the added lenght and mount the controls from my neck with a piece of alum chair leg cut to size and drilled to except the ears of the controls and battery pod. the Pic is of the first one I made years ago out of wood. You can then use the orginal shaft which only weighs just over a pound. Why keep having to put your arm in the cuff a couple hundred times a day?
 

Attachments

  • Excal Neck Mount.webp
    Excal Neck Mount.webp
    33.6 KB · Views: 288
$30.00 each except for the Anderson on the LS & perfect balance
 

Attachments

  • 6 machines MED.webp
    6 machines MED.webp
    54.8 KB · Views: 286
GibH said:
The inside tube from extension handles work well too, can usually find those dirt cheap at yard sales or flea markets. Here's the one I made for a Sovereign.
Hey Gib in a few weeks thanks to 4-H Mike ill be getting my Sov.GT i would of had it already but as always Minelab is back ordered a month >:( i ordered the S12 coil and a hip mount bag what rod did you replace in that picture of the Sov. ? i wanna keep it as lite as possible i also have the SUN RAY S-1 SUPER TARGET PROBE ill be using in field hunts Thanks Dd60
 
Deepdiger60 said:
Hey Gib in a few weeks thanks to 4-H Mike ill be getting my Sov.GT i would of had it already but as always Minelab is back ordered a month >:( i ordered the S12 coil and a hip mount bag what rod did you replace in that picture of the Sov. ? i wanna keep it as lite as possible i also have the SUN RAY S-1 SUPER TARGET PROBE ill be using in field hunts Thanks Dd60

The shaft is from an telescoping extension handle (the inside aluminum tube). Cost me 2 dollars at the flea market and I painted it with black epoxy paint. The cuff is an old Tesoro cuff I had and I ordered the clip and cam lock from metaldetector.com. The handle cost me $4.75 including the sponge grip, so I have a whopping $20 in the shaft. A little more when you figure the shipping for the clip and cam lock, but I ordered those with a bunch of other stuff.

You can get by without the cam lock as well, I just wanted to make it look as neat as I could.
 
GibH said:
Deepdiger60 said:
Hey Gib in a few weeks thanks to 4-H Mike ill be getting my Sov.GT i would of had it already but as always Minelab is back ordered a month >:( i ordered the S12 coil and a hip mount bag what rod did you replace in that picture of the Sov. ? i wanna keep it as lite as possible i also have the SUN RAY S-1 SUPER TARGET PROBE ill be using in field hunts Thanks Dd60

The shaft is from an telescoping extension handle (the inside aluminum tube). The cuff is an old Tesoro cuff I had and I ordered the clip and cam lock from metaldetector.com. The handle cost me $4.75 including the sponge grip, so I have a whopping $20 in the shaft.
20 bucks cant beat that thanks for the tip :thumbsup: Dd60
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom