Orlie Vickers/Glacier Creek Falls

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wondering if anyone else has heard of this one, or found any info on it. I have been checking out books at the library, and "A Guide to Treasure in Colorado" was one I grabber on my most resent visit. In the Weld County section, there was a story about a cattleman, Orlie Vickers - he sells his whole herd and has $24330 in gold coins in a elk-skin sack. He is traveling to Fort Collins to deposit it in a bank when he finds out a gang is on his trail. So he decides to toss the bag in to the base of Glacier Creek falls and come back for it. He sets up and ambushes the gang, kills some, scares the rest off. When he goes back to get his coins, he discovers the pool is drained by and underground chasm.

So, to me, that sounds like a semi-straight forward treasure hunt - locate the falls, look at past river data (if there is any) and keep an eye on future levels to see if a drought may dry out the creek enough to try and wade/dive into the chasm, all the while keeping my diving buddy on my good side. However... This book is the only mention I can find of the story or the man. I found one website, but it cited the book as its source. On top of that, I can't make sense of the few details involved. Like, there isn't any Glacier Creek in Weld (makes sense, since there aren't any mountains or glaciers in Weld), there aren't any significant waterfalls in Weld, the closest of both a Glacier Creek and waterfalls are in the mountains in Larimer - not exactly cattle country. The best explanation I can come up with is that he was a rancher in Middle Park (grandby area) and was crossing over to Ft Collins through Estes and the glacier creek is the one in RMNP (making treasure hunting there difficult...).

Anyone else have any insight??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread