Dec 16, 2014
Vieille Capitale
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Weather was superb to hunt for this time of the year :

Capture d’écran 2015-11-10 à 5.17.39 PM.jpg

So I visited two fields today that I already had permission before and where I had found some 1800's token and a nice bale seal.
Not too much targets and after trying to find another site in the big field (didn't happened !) , 3h had already passed and all I've got was a small musket ball and a weird curve tree or arrow shaped copper thing. With some engraving on it... (now I know it is an escutcheon !!)

Capture d’écran 2015-11-10 à 8.12.18 PM.jpg

Capture d’écran 2015-11-10 à 5.18.45 PM.jpg

Capture d’écran 2015-11-10 à 6.39.19 PM.jpg

So I had a small lunch and decided to go back to where I found my William III shiling and Geo II - III coins.
Tried again to look for other sites in theses fields without luck and returned to the main site. Not much, a nice clock key (I believe) and then I had a chat with a neighbor and got perssion to hunt his field. I rapidly found a coin, but seems to be complety toasted with any marks visible....
Got a couple of cents and on my way back I hit an interesting patch : 3 part a shoe buckle, a 1906 LC, small flat button and an iffy but repetable signal.
I dug it and saw a very thin metal disc, but I rapidly saw nav REX on outside and so I knew it was a french coin ! (my first one)

sale.jpg

better pic :

cleaned.jpg

when I said thin, I mean it !

Capture d’écran 2015-11-10 à 6.38.01 PM.jpg

1739-1752 Louis XV Double sol :

Capture d’écran 2015-11-10 à 8.19.54 PM.jpg

and all the rest :

Capture d’écran 2015-11-10 à 5.20.28 PM.jpg

lucky to have found 3 big parts of that shoe buckle :

Capture d’écran 2015-11-10 à 6.38.33 PM.jpg

thanks for watching !

Upvote 13
OP
OP
Mathurin

Mathurin

Dec 16, 2014
Vieille Capitale
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool escutcheon! And the keg spigot key is correctly identified. The key slipped into the slot on these spigot covers. This one would have taken a key like yours. There are also triangular shaped keys with a matching opening in the cover.

That should fit ! thanks for the pictures.

We call them barrel tap keys.

The escutcheon does have a similar stylized crown to its top with an oval looking coat of arms under it. We don't get much gun furniture, very nice.

thanks. The nice engraving reminds me of another piece (broken) I found on another site :

Capture d’écran 2015-11-01 à 9.37.40 AM.jpg

I still don't know what it is, maybe some hardware of a chest...

I love what you find and what you learn. Nice pieces!

Me too ;-)

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BOY THE GRAET FINDS JUST KEEP ON SHOWING UP ON TNET .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread