traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TN. I hope you enjoy your time. Lots of good folks here. Somebody may help you on your question.

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't held an orx...but the 24k I have tested a little and it's a nice hot vlf no doubt. It handles hot ground well for a vlf and does not have coil bump falsing issues at all. It's very sensitive to tiny gold.
I almost got one but decided on the nokta makro gold kruzer. Same price.. waterproof, excellent build quality and 2 coils. Took it to some nasty ground yesterday that's been hunted out by everyone and every gold detector there is. I managed targets that shouldn't have been there. I've swung multiple detectors over this exact spot in the past. Got a 0.1 out of the bedrock with the kruzer yesterday

Attachments

• IMG_20220203_134954_01.jpg
    IMG_20220203_134954_01.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 50

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't held an orx...but the 24k I have tested a little and it's a nice hot vlf no doubt. It handles hot ground well for a vlf and does not have coil bump falsing issues at all. It's very sensitive to tiny gold.
I almost got one but decided on the nokta makro gold kruzer. Same price.. waterproof, excellent build quality and 2 coils. Took it to some nasty ground yesterday that's been hunted out by everyone and every gold detector there is. I managed targets that shouldn't have been there. I've swung multiple detectors over this exact spot in the past. Got a 0.1 out of the bedrock with the kruzer yesterday
Good post.

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked at the 24k along with other dedicated gold machines. I went with the ORX based on light weight, packable ,wireless, and frequency shift to choose from. I felt it gives me good options not just for the raw gold but jewelry as well.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked at the 24k along with other dedicated gold machines. I went with the ORX based on light weight, packable ,wireless, and frequency shift to choose from. I felt it gives me good options not just for the raw gold but jewelry as well.
good post

OP
OP
C

Calarms

Greenie
Feb 4, 2022
EZRIDER out of the two detectors 24K&ORX, which one do you feel would hit deeper on gold

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I liked them both but it came down to functionality for me to be honest. The ORX is powerful in the sense one can change the frequency to 80 khz. Both machines are nice .

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
With the ORX you are not just stuck with one frequency, you can check areas with multiple frequencies. Also, the ORX does what the Deus does best, it cuts through iron like crazy so you can hear targets through deep black sand deposits. It only weighs 1.8lbs, which makes it the lightest detector I own. This is the type of gold machine that you can detect with just sound, so you can put the remote in your shirt pocket and quickly check it if you need to, while further lightening the detector and taking even more stress off of your arm and shoulder. It's a three-tone machine, so along with the TID and the mineralization bar you have different ways of confirming whether you're listening to a hot rock or a piece of gold. The auto ground balance is very responsive and accurate, and the manual mode is nice if you don't like to hunt in auto.

Last edited:

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You should eventually get both machines, because of conditions, all machines aren't equal in all locations. That's why I have three dedicated gold machines.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What are the other dedicated gold machine you currently use
Besides the Gold Kruzer and the ORX, I still use the Whites GMT. It simply has the fastest and most accurate ground balance of any current VLF. "VSAT" on the GMT is the same as the "iSAT" on the Gold Kruzer or "Reactivity" on the ORX. This is the speed the detector takes to detect a target, determine what the target is, and re-set for the next target. The Whites Goldmaster series VSAT was really the first adjustable speed control on consumer gold nugget detectors. VSAT on the GMT is better than the speed control on any other current VLF. There's even a setting on the GMT VSAT that isn't in the owner's manual. I call it the "hyper-VSAT" setting.
On the ORX reactivity, settings are 0, 1, 2, 2.5, 3. On the Gold Kruzer, it's 0, 1-5. On the GMT it's about 40 settings. So there are characteristics of the GMT that are better than the newer detectors. The 24K is a newer version of the Goldmaster series, but I personally don't think that the 24k is better than the GMT. Even though Garratt bought the rights for the 24k, I'm pretty sure that they just slapped their name on it and didn't do any improvements.

Last edited:

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett 24K vs ORX vs Gold Kruzer.
I have owned all three, hunted with all three and found small gold with all three.

Garrett 24K is an updated version of the Whites 24K. It is my understanding that unlike a previous poster, Garrett did not just paint it black and slap some labels on it. They went over all of the tolerances and improved the stability of the stock coil, added a nice battery charger and some quality NiMh rechargeable batteries for less than the original Whites price. XGB ground balance system really works. Coils are very stable and fairly quiet even on some ground that only the Equinox can handle. The Whites 24K I owned previously would overload if it came anywhere near that same ground and coil knock was atrocious. Garrett 24K is actually an MXT running at 48 kHz since it has an MX7 circuit board not a GMT board. It has iron reject and discrimination options, a two tone option, a one tone VCO audio option, easy pinpointing and ground grab, follow black sand feature and a nice display that is sort of target IDs and sort of ferrous/non-ferrous probability. Easy to use, extremely sensitive and can double for coin and micro jewelry. No wireless audio or waterproofing. OK ergonomics even though it uses 8 AA batteries.

The XP ORX gold modes are threshold based all metal modes with one tone VCO audio, very shallow iron discrimination, good coil choices, a sort of accurate display, great iron probability bar that works on shallower targets in bad mineralization, excellent mineralization bar, excellent large target ID display and iron tone (without volume control unfortunately) so you can make the ORX into a 2 tone ferrous/non ferrous VCO audio detector in the Gold modes. Gold modes are way more sensitive to small gold and penetrate iron mineralization far better than the two 3 tone discrimination modes. The control buttons are pretty stiff and pinpointing is a real chore. No depth meter. With the gold modes you hear absolutely everything in the ground. Ergonomics, packability, 28 possible selectable single frequencies between 13.8 to 80.8 kHz if you have both white coils, internal rechargeable battery and wireless audio are really nice. Not as sensitive or deep as the 24K from my experience.

Gold Kruzer has 4 modes and 4 coil choices. Running at 61 kHz it is just a little too high a frequency for some iron mineralized nugget sites I hunt and has difficulty handling hot ground and will overload fairly easily in larger magnetite.
Gen mode is threshold based all metal mode with 1 tone VCO audio and target ID display. That is about it. It has a Fast mode and Boost mode which are 1 tone discrimination modes. The really nice mode even for gold prospecting is the 3 tone Micro mode which is a discrimination mode. In my testing this mode was actually more stable and more sensitive than the all metal Gen Mode. Waterproof is a big plus along with outstanding, sturdy build quality internal rechargeable battery, external backup battery, great full featured display/controls and wireless audio. About the same sensitivity as the ORX.

I still say that the Equinox 800 is the best gold prospecting VLF detector on the market today even though it is not marketed as one. It is plenty sensitive to small gold (as sensitive as the ORX and Gold Kruzer) has better features than any of the above three in its Gold modes and can handle hot ground better than any of them easily. Plus you get a relatively waterproof detector that is an excellent relic, coin and jewelry hunter along with an excellent saltwater and fresh water beach and shallow submerged detector.........

OP
OP
C

Calarms

Greenie
Feb 4, 2022
WOW, thanks for all that detailed information, I didn't realize the Garrett 24K has the different board and all the improvements over the whites,
Looks like I should go towards the nox 800 ,detector, unless you feel the new legend would be equal to nox 800, at a lower price point,

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, thanks for all that detailed information, I didn't realize the Garrett 24K has the different board and all the improvements over the whites,
Looks like I should go towards the nox 800 ,detector, unless you feel the new legend would be equal to nox 800, at a lower price point,
I have the same question about the Legend. Nokta Makro know how to make gold prospecting detectors for sure. The Gold modes could be really good……..hard to tell until the field testers have a chance to work with the updated/upgraded Sample detectors. I have a feeling that the Legend will be available by Spring.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've owned the orx,24k and gold kruzer. the kruzer I kept 2 weeks before returning, just my opinion but I think the orx was better. I kept the 24k about 3 months, found silver ore with it. but it would constanly go into overload over a large target like a buried can or the silver ore. The orx ran smooth and can find gold that does not weigh on my scale, the frequency can be adjusted for small shallow gold to larger somewhat deeper targets, it handled the Arizona dirt better than the others including the nox800. I sold it after a year and a half and bought a goldmonster, which I feel was a mistake , even though both are sensitive, I hate the shaft on the gm, it does not fold for backpackind and you have to keep tightening the shaft which is very annoying. unable to find pictures of gold right now. typing with my left hand,(surgery this morning) below is some peacock silver ore, assays at 3oz per ton, but is locked in sulfides, contains galeana,copper as well as gold all of which gives it a bluish tint. check utube for videos on all machines, you will find little help for the gold cruzer or 24k, which will add to your frustrations on trying to learn. the most videos you will find are on the gm, followed by the orx. in conclusion I will add that unless you feel confident about using a machine with little or no help, stay away from those 2

Attachments

• 20210123_183555.jpg
    20210123_183555.jpg
    505.4 KB · Views: 37

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
AlgoForce E1500
I've owned the orx,24k and gold kruzer. the kruzer I kept 2 weeks before returning, just my opinion but I think the orx was better. I kept the 24k about 3 months, found silver ore with it. but it would constanly go into overload over a large target like a buried can or the silver ore. The orx ran smooth and can find gold that does not weigh on my scale, the frequency can be adjusted for small shallow gold to larger somewhat deeper targets, it handled the Arizona dirt better than the others including the nox800. I sold it after a year and a half and bought a goldmonster, which I feel was a mistake , even though both are sensitive, I hate the shaft on the gm, it does not fold for backpackind and you have to keep tightening the shaft which is very annoying. unable to find pictures of gold right now. typing with my left hand,(surgery this morning) below is some peacock silver ore, assays at 3oz per ton, but is locked in sulfides, contains galeana,copper as well as gold all of which gives it a bluish tint. check utube for videos on all machines, you will find little help for the gold cruzer or 24k, which will add to your frustrations on trying to learn. the most videos you will find are on the gm, followed by the orx. in conclusion I will add that unless you feel confident about using a machine with little or no help, stay away from those 2
Hi. Good read this thread.
What is the full length of the ORX from end of armrest to end of lower shaft please.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread